What do you think of these lenses?

Stilltime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My husband found a bag in his new shop that contained a Canon Elan, a quantaray flash, and two lenses. I'll keep the lenses if they're decent, but I've never had any interest in wide angle lenses so I'm not really familiar with them. I think one was probably the kit lens that came with the camera, but the other one is quite hefty and feels like a better lens just from the weight of it.

One is a Canon EF 20-35mm f3.5-4.5 USM and the other is a 35-80mm f4-5.6 USM.

The flash is a Quantaray QTB-9500a, which I'm pretty sure I can't use on a digital camera right?

Quick (but important) question - when you say he found a bag in his new shop - I take it attempts to find the rightfull owners of this gear have not been successful?

My husband found a bag in his new shop that contained a Canon Elan, a quantaray flash, and two lenses. I'll keep the lenses if they're decent, but I've never had any interest in wide angle lenses so I'm not really familiar with them. I think one was probably the kit lens that came with the camera, but the other one is quite hefty and feels like a better lens just from the weight of it.

One is a Canon EF 20-35mm f3.5-4.5 USM and the other is a 35-80mm f4-5.6 USM.

The flash is a Quantaray QTB-9500a, which I'm pretty sure I can't use on a digital camera right?

According to this list that many people go by, your flash model IS safe for use on a DSLR.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

But, if you are not completely comfortable, Quantaray is a Sunpak flash branded for sale by the Wolf/Ritz chain of camera stores. If there are enough Wolf/Ritz stores left that there is one in your area, go and check with them to be sure.

Quick (but important) question - when you say he found a bag in his new shop - I take it attempts to find the rightfull owners of this gear have not been successful?

We wouldn't even know how. The previous tenants didn't even know where it came from, so my husband spoke up for it and got to take it home. One of those freak finds I guess.

I believe those are mid-range lenses...certainly not the best but probably not terrible.

The 20-35mm is a wide angle lens, on a film camera or a 'full frame' digital...but it's not that wide on a crop body camera like a Rebel or 50D etc.

The flash is likely safe to use because most of the digital bodies have a pretty high sync voltage rating. That list was made for older film EOS cameras, which had a safe rating of 6v or 9v...something like that. My 20D is rated for 250v.

True - though all you could try is running a search on the serial number of the lens (should be a serial number somewhere on each lens) there are lists (police and some indepentant) which list out the missing and found serial numbers.

True - though all you could try is running a search on the serial number of the lens (should be a serial number somewhere on each lens) there are lists (police and some indepentant) which list out the missing and found serial numbers.

I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back