What do you think of these pictures ?

Now this is what I call a nice comment, see, you can do it if you really put your mind to it. For the future I won't be starting threads anymore as I thought photography is not going to happen for me anytime soon, I'm just going to comment once in a while and say how beautiful some snapshots are. But thank you, write more comments like the last one and don't be too hard on people, you just might push them over the edge. Do it in a more diplomatic way, follow the feedback techniques. And again, thank you, you opinion matters.

Arrogance will teach you nothing. All it will do is ensure you get no help from anyone. The only thing that might have been gained from using a better camera would be that you would have less distortion and less chromatic aberrations.

Before you get a new camera I think you need to get a new attitude and a thicker skin. You will learn nothing at all from people telling you that your photographs are 'nice'. I went through a stage of thinking that my shots were great and ignored some of what people were saying, mainly on another forum. I have top notch kit (Canon 5D mk II, Mk III Pentax 645D a 41mp medium format camera and a number of medium format film bodies) and was convinced for a while that I was getting great images. I initially saw the criticism on another site as jealousy of my kit. then I had a good look at myself, and found that although my images were fine, they lacked something. They didn't 'pop'. I had great gear but hadn't learned to make the best of them and the software that I have.

I have still got a long way to go, but my images are much better now and have some direction, and are processed much better now. Yes, I'll still put in some duff images (I suspect that all the images I have taken today on arrival in Seoul will all hit the trash but then I took them while jet lagged!).

Shake off the attitude and be prepared to take a few scrapes. Some of the criticism will be spot on, some wildly off the mark, but learning why people see your images in a certain way is one of the keys to mastering the art. As for cameras, learn to live the limitations of your kit and when you have better kit, you will get better use from it. Work to the camera's strengths, not it's weaknesses, and take on as much free advice as you can get. It won't all be useful, but it will all be valuable.

It all comes down to one question:

Do you want a pat one the back, or do you want to learn something that will improve your photography?

We've all been at the stage you are. Moving on to the next stage is up to you, but it means manning up and being able to take a few knocks. Good Luck whichever route you take!

I have no clue for where you have seen arrogance in my comments, to make such assumptions you really need to know me. And yet some people blamed the distortion and chromatic aberrations on me, nice to know, duly noted. About new attitude and thicker skin, good point, good assumption but again it was made on the wrong base. I don't think the shots I took are great, since I basically have not experience or studies in the domain in question, I have no tools, I have nothing. i almost ignored your comment as most of it was good because of your off the line remark about me being arrogant, I usually admit to the truth but there isn't any. I'm really happy for you that you've come a long way to being great, I'm sure you are but not all will understand you style, your approach and simply your taste of what you consider attractive, popping-out and so on. Thanks, I can add this comment, most of it anyway, the the list of the good ones. Remember, there is no arrogance in it, maybe a bit of sarcasm but also remember sarcasm is a coping mechanism for a lot of crap and misery I had to go through. See ya.

And people, please stop commenting, I've had it already.

Your defensiveness will get in the way of your progress. It's also that that makes you come across as arrogant. I also don't see how anyone that knows anything about cameras and photography would say that you created the distortion and chromatic aberrations. these are inherent in all lenses, just more pronounced in cheaper lanes and in inbuilt lenses on compacts or bridge cameras. You can use a certain amount of skill to reduce the distortion, but CA will always be present unless removed in Post production.

As for you 'knowing that these photos weren't great, why didn't you tell people what you thought were the weak points? That tells people that you are willing to learn and would also lessen the criticism that would come at you, as you are then displaying some self knowledge and anyone that came in pointing it out would be rightfully admonished for pointing out what you know already.

If you don't want people to tell you what they think, don't ask.

I can only wonder how would they look like if I had a professional camera like a Canon 7D, for instance. How do you think they would look like ?

Tell me everything you think, com' on, I can take it :)

The original post tells me two things: you thought these shots were great: "I can only wonder....". come across as thinking the shots are great and be prepared to back it up with great images. As for the second sentence, Yeah, right, I believe you, thousands wouldn't.

You will also rile people when nagging for feedback only a few hours after posting. Impatience won't endear you to anyone.

Last edited:
Also if you want to get tailored feedback rather than straight criticism you need to put more effort in. In your OP you didn't tell us when these were taken (although you've since told us it was some time ago); you didn't explicitly tell us what you thought of the pictures (although later in the thread you say you knew there were issues). To get better feedback you need to give more information.

For my part, they show too little thought has gone into composition and there doesn't really seem to be any real concept behind most of the shots. The flower shots are just flower shots, the first shot while reasonably exposed and the composition is alright, there isn't really a clear subject. The last shot of the bunch has the most potential but you chopped off the top part of the gherkin, so I don't think you had any real concept there as you haven't really juxtapositioned the old building next to the modern one. The light is good,but you didn't create the light, there is distortion and lots of CA but there's little you can do about this (apart from reducing the amount in post either by profile or by reducing the saturation for that colour). The big fail on that photo is composition and that's because you didn't appear to have a clear concept in the shot.

Also if you want to get tailored feedback rather than straight criticism you need to put more effort in. In your OP you didn't tell us when these were taken (although you've since told us it was some time ago); you didn't explicitly tell us what you thought of the pictures (although later in the thread you say you knew there were issues). To get better feedback you need to give more information.

For my part, they show too little thought has gone into composition and there doesn't really seem to be any real concept behind most of the shots. The flower shots are just flower shots, the first shot while reasonably exposed and the composition is alright, there isn't really a clear subject. The last shot of the bunch has the most potential but you chopped off the top part of the gherkin, so I don't think you had any real concept there as you haven't really juxtapositioned the old building next to the modern one. The light is good,but you didn't create the light, there is distortion and lots of CA but there's little you can do about this (apart from reducing the amount in post either by profile or by reducing the saturation for that colour). The big fail on that photo is composition and that's because you didn't appear to have a clear concept in the shot.

$100_6567.jpg$100_6572.jpg$100_6575.jpg

unedited.

unedited.

My suggestion that you pick the one image you think is most successful, edit it and start another thread with it.
That way anything you hear will be something you don't know.

+1. no.2 is a pity you couldn't have gone any wider and got the top of the Gherkin in. One thing you did do right was to shoot at this time of the day. The light is nice. Shooting from these angles you will always get perspective distortion, so hard to avoid sometimes. Like The_traveler said go and edit them and pick the one you ​think is best in a new thread.

Most reactions

Back