What do you think of this editing? C&C

None are blown out, I was trying an editing technique to make them super bright. I ended up toning it down in my final edit. I dont mind the holding in #5. He cant just float there. That was my favorite from the day.

Number 5 is my favorite as well. His eyes pop in that one. I'd LOVE to see it in color.
What an adorable baby! I love babies and I LOVE the drool in pics. In fact, drool and dirty faces are some of the best parts of baby pics. It shows character, I think. What would a baby be without drool?

Well, actually, eyes are my favorite part of a baby picture.
Number 4 would be my favorite if his eyes were just a itsy bitsy, tiny bit sharper. BUT, I think it was you who commented on a pic I sharpened for someone else and you said I over did the eyes. So, if that is how you like them, that's how you like them, and that's fine. It's still a good picture.:mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm not much help, huh?:mrgreen:
I think reducing the exposure did good for the pictures.

I think the drool works in pics like #6 where it adds something to the picture. Otherwise, I think drool and dirty face are usually nono's (in my book!, anyways..)

I think the first few edits are too much on the highlights. The problem being that his face is too much in shadow. A reflector might have helped, or like someone said putting up a diffuser would have helped too, then you could have turned him right into the light wihtout it being so harsh.

I like the non edit one better, and what you could do is fix the midtones in his face to better match the overall picture.

Er...ok, dirty faces for professional portaits, true. No dirty faces for those.
:lmao:

Sorry! This was what was in my head when I replied.:mrgreen:
I think the drool works in pics like #6 where it adds something to the picture. Otherwise, I think drool and dirty face are usually nono's (in my book!, anyways..)

What I meant was: No dirty faces and drool in professional portraits.
But I agree that sometimes drool works.:mrgreen:
I like drool and dirty faces sometimes in pictures, but I wouldn't take my child to a professional photographer with a dirty face to have pictures taken.

Emerana, the dirty face opinion of mine has nothing to do with your pictures. That is just a side note opinion of mine.

Again, I think those are great photos.:D

I am with you. Drool I dont mind so much, bit not a fan of dirty faces at all. Honestly, there was NO was to stop the drool on this kid. His mom and a cloth and was wiping him between shots and it was like a faucet. But for these photos, I am fine with it.

The final edit came out pretty good and the family was quite happy. We actually were using a reflector and fill flash, but I had a fairly long focal length on the first couple and strong back lighting. The rest was front/side natural light with a little fill for the eyes (and a shorter focal length)

Chew, I do agree that it could be a little sharper, but I am really not inclined to fix eyes in PP, maybe a touch. But any more then a touch and it looks odd to me.

My first was a drooler - big time. I had to change his shirts twice a day until well after he was walking. It can be cute, but I might edit it out of one or two so mom has some variety. Dirty/crumby faces gross me out, unless it's the reason for the photo, like playing in mud or a baby's first go at eating spaghetti.

I love #7, but his nose is wet - I'd leave the drool but dry off his nose. Maybe lighten up his photo-right eye too. Great shot - I love the fingers in the mouth.

#4 is lovely. Would have been even nicer in front of a plain wall, but very nice shot - I'm sure his parents will treasure it.

#1-3 are adorable, but (especially in #1) the light could be better on his face - if he were facing the window, rather than backlit I think his eyes would have been better exposed.

Nice series - these are vastly improved from the first ones I remember you posting.

you read my mind on 7, this was my final edit (couldnt do anything about the nose though). It was one of my favorites :)
agedphotos-0966.jpg

hummm its looking a little soft...weird. anyways, I did try to lighten the eye, because I liked it so mugh. I think it turned out nicely

I really like 4 and your new PP of 7. 7 is a little soft, but I like it. I would have liked a little more even lighting on the first couple, but maybe that's just me. Cute pictures!

those are great!!

I think as a stranger to this little boy and his family, the drool isn't going to be quite as endearing to us as it is to his family and those that know him. Especially when he's bringing over a girl and his mom shows her those pictures... that's part of who he is at 6 months old! There is nothing wrong with the drool :)

the black and whites are my favorites.

Most reactions

Back