What do you think of this?

Fourth, you're making art that is really just a picture of someone else's art. That is 1> Cheating like hell, and 2> very hard to pull off in a way that makes the picture a unique perspective on the subject.

I disagree somewhat.
Manny, if you took all the pictures on your website that are photos of someone elses work/art, how many images will you have left?
With her image, she clearly thought about it, clearly had intent, clearly thought about how to create a mood, clearly thought about composition, clearly thought about what to include, and what not to.
Nearly all photographs have subject matter that was just "there", and was not created by the photographer. Ansel Adams didn't move mountains hills and trees to create his work. He merely went to a spot, and took a picture. Anybody can go to that spot and take the same image. Where's the creativity in that?

You make a good point, but I think it kind of reinforces part of what I was saying.

A lot of my pictures are yes, pictures of things that were there... even the skyline is an art form of it's own... crafted by many. I like to believe that my pictures are my interpretation of what I see in what others have created. Same goes for the statues of angels I take.

One of my points to OP was not that it was necessarily bad... just that it was hard. (and it is... most pictures of statues I see are just ZZZZZZZzzz...) Inventory pictures at best.

Anyway, my head hurts too much to be any more articulate than that and I have to get back to rebuilding my deck. I'll try again later. :lol:

very serene and pretty... i like it and especially that it is in your garden..

Fourth, you're making art that is really just a picture of someone else's art.

How can it be a photo of someone else's art when it is not art. Art is not mass produced in a factory. You don't even seem to be able to decide if this is art, mass produced or whatever. Then, it is not a straight on, documentary type shot of the statue. Thoughts went into it. Not to say that it is a great photo, it is not, but it not just a shot of somebody's work.

Jess created mood with her use of supplemental lighting. Jess=Ansel :p

:thumbup: :lmao:

Fourth, you're making art that is really just a picture of someone else's art.

How can it be a photo of someone else's art when it is not art. Art is not mass produced in a factory. You don't even seem to be able to decide if this is art, mass produced or whatever. Then, it is not a straight on, documentary type shot of the statue. Thoughts went into it. Not to say that it is a great photo, it is not, but it not just a shot of somebody's work.

Well, frankly, I'm trying to be nice. It looks like a mass-produced angel statue of some kind, and while someone had to design it at some point, it's not special to my eye.

BTW, your statements imply that mass-produced products cannot be art. I tend to disagree. Are mass-produced forms of art common? No, not really, but they do exist. Does it cheapen them to have them made by the boat-load? Yeah, definitely... but that doesn't necessarily mean they are not art.

BTW, your statements imply that mass-produced products cannot be art. I tend to disagree. Are mass-produced forms of art common? No, not really, but they do exist. Does it cheapen them to have them made by the boat-load? Yeah, definitely... but that doesn't necessarily mean they are not art.

Well, this is not the "what is Art?" semantics thread so I just put myself in the place of the art collector. This person collects fine art and fine art is not mass produced.

Well, this is not the "what is Art?" semantics thread so I just put myself in the place of the art collector. This person collects fine art and fine art is not mass produced.

Fine art is not mass produced? Or art that is fine becomes less so when it is?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back