what do you think of this?

slickhare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so i was in this room and i noticed how the light was coming down out of a window. i figured it'd be a great time to snap a shot. so i came up with this and adjusted the levels in Gimp to make the lights more light and the darks more dark (like vernacular? :p) and removed some distracting stuff. so what do you think?:
portraitgimp20pq.jpg

Rob said:
Cool shot. Could possibly do with being a bit larger though??

Rob

actually i shrunk it so it wouldn't seem so grainy :lmao:

iso i wish i knew how to quit you! :mrgreen:

hmmm. there are some things that i really like about this image and some things that i really dont like. i think the lighting (dusty light streams) looks wonderful, very atmospheric. However, i'm having some trouble with the pose and framing. Your composition is good, although it would have been much better (IMO) to include a tad bit more room around the sides (most likely more on the left side) to give more depth to the feeling of that 'small light shining through a sea of darkness' thing. The horizontal panoramic crop looks exactly like what it is - a crop. there seems to be key elements (or empty spaces that work as key elements) that were excluded from the photo after the crop, whether it was in post or in camera. for instance, he doesnt seem to be pointing at the light, but a little past it, out of the frame, which is misleading and a bit frusterating. this leads me to my last complaint - the pose. why is he pointing at the light? he doesnt seem to have an expression that conveys longing (to escape) or even any expression at all. it's more like he's bored and is just poking at some spider hanging from the ceiling with his finger. i think if he was just looking at the light (almost in a sense of hopelessness, but that's just one way) it would be much more powerful. okay, enough ranting. i do really like your idea with this, and again i love the lighting. the tones you did were good too, and the editing also gives it a more gritty feel. dont be afraid to show noisy pictures! i actually like noise and grain, and i know several others do. if you needed the high iso to get the shot, then so be it :)

thebeginning said:
hmmm. there are some things that i really like about this image and some things that i really dont like. i think the lighting (dusty light streams) looks wonderful, very atmospheric. However, i'm having some trouble with the pose and framing. Your composition is good, although it would have been much better (IMO) to include a tad bit more room around the sides (most likely more on the left side) to give more depth to the feeling of that 'small light shining through a sea of darkness' thing. The horizontal panoramic crop looks exactly like what it is - a crop. there seems to be key elements (or empty spaces that work as key elements) that were excluded from the photo after the crop, whether it was in post or in camera. for instance, he doesnt seem to be pointing at the light, but a little past it, out of the frame, which is misleading and a bit frusterating. this leads me to my last complaint - the pose. why is he pointing at the light? he doesnt seem to have an expression that conveys longing (to escape) or even any expression at all. it's more like he's bored and is just poking at some spider hanging from the ceiling with his finger. i think if he was just looking at the light (almost in a sense of hopelessness, but that's just one way) it would be much more powerful. okay, enough ranting. i do really like your idea with this, and again i love the lighting. the tones you did were good too, and the editing also gives it a more gritty feel. dont be afraid to show noisy pictures! i actually like noise and grain, and i know several others do. if you needed the high iso to get the shot, then so be it :)

thanks so much for all the feedback!
in response: i actually shot this in my bathroom (of all places), that is me in the picture. the secret *gasp* is that i held the camera backward in my left hand across my chest and took the pic through the mirror. the reason i did that is because i can't fit a tripod in my bathroom. so in ps i also edited out the camera in my left hand. the cropping was also for all the distracting objects that took away from the shot (shower curtain, towels, etc.). but i'll keep the things you mentioned in mind if the sun ever comesmy way again ;-)

the grain could actually work to your advantage if it was bigger. It can look cool sometimes, especially on black and white

Most reactions

New Topics

Back