What do you think?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The Sigma 10-20 deal fell through, and Im still looking for something that will go shallower than my 28-80mm. So, I was looking around and I have decided to stick with a few of these. I havent shot with these particular ones before, so I would like some opinions here. The lenses I am deciding over are the Amazon.com: Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens: Electronics, Amazon.com: Tamron Autofocus 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Macro Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics Or simply going back to the beginning and getting the Amazon.com: Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Electronics or Amazon.com: Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens: Electronics. I really like the idea of having just one zoom lens to carry around until I get my 70-200. I have a 70-300 now, but it doesnt zoom back enough. I want something more wide angle than my 28-80. I eventually want to get something smaller than 18mm also, but I will have to save up for that one. Anyways, back to the topic.

I want one of these lenses. I am saving up for the Sigma 70-200 and I plan to get that soon. I currently have the Nikon 28-80mm, 70-300, and 50mm 1.8 lenses. I want something more wide angle and I was thinking about the lenses above. What are your opinions on them? Im leaning towards the Tamron currently because of the versatility, but Im not sure about the image quality. If you could help me out here, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for reading my psycho-babble. :mrgreen:
Mark

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
what is the budget? What about something wide like the 16-70 or w.e. it is by nikon. GL
TJ

I can only speak of the 18-70mm DX, and it's a good lens, not great though. I found it a tad soft when opened up wide and too hard to get the sweet spot which is about F 8. Others will have to sound up on the lens they know of. Why not go with the 14mm, or 14-24mm. If it is cost then go used, I just got a good deal on a 60mm, took time and patience, but well worth it.

I dont want to spend more than $225 right now. After I get the 70-200, I will get a more serious wide angle. My 28-80 does most of the jobs now, but I would like something that zoomed out a little more than that for the family gatherings and such around christmas. Ive done my good bit of searching around, and these are the lenses that seem to fit both my needs and budget best. I can get any of them for $200 or less, so thats great.

Thanks.
Mark

I dont want to spend more than $225 right now. After I get the 70-200, I will get a more serious wide angle. My 28-80 does most of the jobs now, but I would like something that zoomed out a little more than that for the family gatherings and such around christmas. Ive done my good bit of searching around, and these are the lenses that seem to fit both my needs and budget best. I can get any of them for $200 or less, so thats great.

Thanks.
Mark
Your budget is very restrictive for getting what you want. Wide angle glass is more difficult to make and costs more. The Nikon AF-S 10-24 f/3.5-5.6 is over $700 new but you might find one used for $400 or so.

A better lens is the AF-S 12-24 f/4G, $1000 new, about $700 used.

I know there are much better lenses out there. My question is, out of the choices given, which of them would get me beflow 28mm (my current minimum, and all of them would do this) and takes good photos (for the price)? Ive been hearing that the Nikon 18-70 has pretty bad distortion and is soft until you hit moderately high apertures (as stated above). Ive heard that the Tamron 18-200 takes photos up to par with the Nikon 18-70, but distortion is still bad. And lastly, Ive heard that the 18-55s from Nikon take good photos, distortion is still there, but not as dramatic as the 18-70, and the macro is good (which Im not really worried too much about), but doesnt reach as far as the others. So, as you can see, I have a dilemma. If anyone can contest to them, I would love to hear it.

Thanks again
Mark

Okay. So to sum up, here are the choices:

Nikon 18-55 EDII lens and 55-200 (non VR)
Nikon 18-55 VR
Nikon 18-70 ED
Tamron 18-200

Mark

Yea, im also trying to buy a lens for 200 :p. Im canon though, cant help, but regardless, do as i am doing, sell everything you can on craigslist, and wait till you can buy a 700 dollar lens you wont regret in a week

Most reactions

New Topics

Back