What does "auto" and "manual" mean to you?

I don't pick up a camera and switch it to auto, I learned how to shoot manual from day one, I learned how to read light. Anyone can pick up a camera and shoot auto, they have little control over what they are doing and most people don't care anymore, as long as they have something in the frame.

I understand the difference. One takes buying a camera, the other is knowing how to use it.

One more for my post count, better?

AUTO is for wussy morons who can't handle things on their own.

MANUAL is for real men. Men with hair on their chests. Men with massive bulging muscles and raging packages. Men who know where their towel is at.

Personally, I prefer the six speeds, but fives are ok too.

What?

Weren't we talking about cars?

"If a man doesn't coat his own Daguerrotype plates, he's a peckerwood."

"If a man shoots glass plates and not tinypes, he's a debutante weenie."

"If a man shoots with color and not B&W film, he doesn't know photography."

"If you don't raise your own beef, kill it, bleed it, gut it, hang it, skin it, locker it, age it and THEN butcher it, and finally, cut and wrap it, you're a pu&&y."

See where this is going?

AUTO is for wussy morons who can't handle things on their own.

MANUAL is for real men. Men with hair on their chests. Men with massive bulging muscles and raging packages. Men who know where their towel is at.

Personally, I prefer the six speeds, but fives are ok too.

What?

Weren't we talking about cars?
Ahhhh, sh!t. I really don't want hair on my chest. Or a raging package. I'll take the muscle. And I drive a 6speed LT1 while my husband drives the 5speed porsche. I have really F'd something up here.

I've been shooting on manual for a while now because it feels rewarding to know I've contributed more to my work. I resort to autofocus as a spur of the moment option for opportunities where I don't have the luxury of making changes.

"If a man doesn't coat his own Daguerrotype plates, he's a peckerwood."

"If a man shoots glass plates and not tinypes, he's a debutante weenie."

"If a man shoots with color and not B&W film, he doesn't know photography."

"If you don't raise your own beef, kill it, bleed it, gut it, hang it, skin it, locker it, age it and THEN butcher it, and finally, cut and wrap it, you're a pu&&y."

See where this is going?

Yep. Darrel grinds his own glass into lenses.

I've been shooting on manual for a while now because it feels rewarding to know I've contributed more to my work. I resort to autofocus as a spur of the moment option for opportunities where I don't have the luxury of making changes.
I bow to you. Manual focus is harder than hell and AF is usually more accurate. Those who can manual focus well consistently for anything more than macro have my respect.

Manual focus these days is horrible, since they took all the focusing aids away :(

Manual focus these days is horrible, since they took all the focusing aids away :(

KatzEye.
fiufiu.gif

On occation I still use my old 400 2.8 on my 1D series bodies and manual focus sports, it takes a little time getting into it, but it works just fine, I grew up doing it. It's not as easy as autofocus, but the lens is sharper than any of my new glass, just more of a challenge.

Given that I never use scenes it means auto priority vs full manual

I think we're mostly discussing camera modes (i.e., Auto, P, Av, Tv, Manual), not really autofocus vs. manual focus. But yes, I use Autofocus... Spot AF or Zone AF. When shooting shallow and when constructiong composition, I don't use the automatic 19 point selection.

I think a lot of people think they're shooting manual even though they have a lot of aids still switched on.

Ummm... I made no claim of shooting in full manual. Where are you getting that from in my post. Is there somewhere in my post that you are reading this, because I don't see it. Read it again. I clearly asked if anyone has shot using manual Av, and manual shutter, while using *auto* ISO. The thread is about auto vs. manual modes, using metering, auto or manual focus points, etc. You're the first poster who is bringing up *autofocus vs. manual focus* in this thread. Why are you addressing a non-existant issue? If you're not going to address my question, that's fine. No need to suddenly bring up a new issue for the purpose of bringing up an off topic opinion of yours.

Um, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. You asked if people shot in manual with auto iso and I expanded this line of thought with the question of using auto focus. This was not aimed at you, it was a general thought. Hardly off topic and certainly no opinion.

Some other posters have certainly taken the position that manual is superior to auto but if you read right the way through the thread, you will see that I have already stated my position is it's okay to use both.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back