what does f mean!?

nagoshua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive been taking pictures for a while and my knowledge of camera things is gettings quite large but my girlfriend asked me tonight what does f mean (as in aperture) and i didnt have a clue and i dont think ive ever seen it explained anywhere... so any answers people!

the f in f/stop is focal length.

Aperture is basically a fraction of focal length/aperture opening

If you were using a 50mm lens and had your aperture set to f/2.8, the actual opening (the aperture) in the lens would be about 17.85mm. f (the focal length...50mm in this case) divided by 2.8 = 17.85mm. It's a ratio to show how big the aperture is compared to the focal length.

Lol, guys the OP was asking what the letter itself ment.

The F in F/stop is an abrieviation for Focal ratio

If I translate from German, it is always focal length, not ratio.

In any case, sometimes f means something different, as in WTF.:lmao: sorry ...

I was tought ratio so... What else can I say

I am not saying it is wrong, it is just not a common term to me as a non-native speaker :)

I thought focal ratio was the term for f/X with X being the f-stop.
whereas f alone is only the focal length.

I am not saying it is wrong, it is just not a common term to me as a non-native speaker :)

I thought focal ratio was the term for f/X with X being the f-stop.
whereas f alone is only the focal length.

Yes.

It's been a wile since I attended class you are right, I ended up doing some research and relearning the whole ordeal.

OK, prolem solved :)

Waiter, next problem please! ;)

haha amused =P bt still Battou , you have the knowlage thx for your advice and all..

lol so what you both were saying was "yes sideburns you were right".

ahaha.

Thanks guys!

Glad you relearned it battou...always nice to have an understanding...even if you already had it before.

lol thanks people! just curious...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back