What does HDR stand for

I've seen it quite a bit here, and I'm not sure what it means.....is it double exposure....

Stands for Google. ;) Just messing with you but in the future see if you can figure out the answer to a question before you ask it.

Stands for Google. ;) Just messing with you but in the future see if you can figure out the answer to a question before you ask it.

I don't understand the "google it" atitude at many forums nowadays. This is a photography forum and HDR is a photography topic so what's the problem? I understand that the OP's question is very basic, but rather than tell people to google it, maybe there should be a FAQ sticky that answers these basic photography questions. After all, pretty much every question asked in these forums could've been answered through Google in some way, shape or form and if they all should've checked Google first then there's not much purpose for these forums. Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not trying to jump on you fatsheep. I just don't see why he needs to try to get a photography question answered somewhere else before posting it here?

Tennessee - I would answer your question except I'm a noob to photography myself.

EDIT: I started this reply when there was only one reply. I'm a slow a** typist. :)

i tried to start a beginner's thread but the mods wouldn't sticky it.

OP- I haven't tried this technique, but I have seen those who have and are successful with it as I am sure you have seen those HDR pics.

HDR requires a technique all of it's own, but it is mainly a PP thing. It IS bracketed RAW exposures. Those exposures are then sent to PP that can convert them into HDR. Photomatrix and cs3 to name just 2. of course there are more steps to them than this.

Like I said I don't know the EXACT technique, but the above is just a basic understanding of them.

Get over yourself and go google smartass..this is a PHOTOGRAPHY forum, and the beginners place...no stupid questions....

That is true but my point was it isn't hard to figure out what it stands for. It's written all over the google results. If you have a more technical question about HDR and how it is applied... that is more what this forum is for. That is harder to find on google and more suited to discussions. What something stands for is about as easy as research gets.

However, I do apologize for the smartypants attitude. I didn't mean to come off like that.

I don't understand the "google it" atitude at many forums nowadays. This is a photography forum and HDR is a photography topic so what's the problem? I understand that the OP's question is very basic, but rather than tell people to google it, maybe there should be a FAQ sticky that answers these basic photography questions. After all, pretty much every question asked in these forums could've been answered through Google in some way, shape, or form and if they all should've checked there first then there's not much purpose for these forums. Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not trying to jump on you fatsheep. I just don't see why he needs to try to get a photography question answered somewhere else before posting it here?

Tennessee - I would answer your question except I'm a noob to photography myself.

EDIT: I started this reply when there was only one reply. I'm a slow a** typist. :)

I don't think I am being unreasonable What I am trying to say is that people should take the extra 2 seconds to answer a basic question like "what does XXX stand for?" for themselves on google instead of having people spoon feed them. Yes this is a photography forum. Yes you can ask all sorts of question here but if you can just as easily answer it yourself then do so.

here is more on the subject from one of our own. i consider him to be a pro at HDR.

here is more of a basic understanding

Get over yourself and go google smartass..this is a PHOTOGRAPHY forum, and the beginners place...no stupid questions....
Remember children, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Thats the first thing I thought of when I read this. LOL. (Not talking about the OP, just a quote from Southpark)

That is true but my point was it isn't hard to figure out what it stands for. It's written all over the google results. If you have a more technical question about HDR and how it is applied... that is more what this forum is for. That is harder to find on google and more suited to discussions. What something stands for is about as easy as research gets.

However, I do apologize for the smartypants attitude. I didn't mean to come off like that.

:thumbdown::thumbdown:

I know exactly what I can find on google, trust me..I understand it more than you think, but this is a photography forum..I'm a beginner, I registered to this forum for a reason and posted the thread in the beginners section...all the rules were followed. If your a moderator, which you're not, but if you were you would have a place to tell me what not to do in this forum.......again.....get over yourself and leave my stupid questions alone...

:thumbdown::thumbdown:

I know exactly what I can find on google, trust me..I understand it more than you think, but this is a photography forum..I'm a beginner, I registered to this forum for a reason and posted the thread in the beginners section...all the rules were followed. If your a moderator, which you're not, but if you were you would have a place to tell me what not to do in this forum.......again.....get over yourself and leave my stupid questions alone...

Take it easy. You didn't even acknowledge my apology.

Back to the original topic... From a quick skim through the results, here are some links to the better pages HDR:

http://www.hdrsoft.com/resources/dri.html - This looks like a helpful FAQ. Check out that "How do I shoot an HDR image" bullet.
http://tutorialblog.org/hdr-tutorials-roundup/ - A list of tutorials on the subject.
http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/
http://www.naturescapes.net/072006/rh0706_1.htm - another rundown on HDR

HDR is basically just taking the same shot at different exposure levels and then combining these shots so that you can get a larger "dynamic range" than the original camera had. You've probably ran into the problem of setting an exposure for the sky and loosing detail in the ground due to underexposure. Then you set the exposure for the ground and the sky is completely white.

I have never used HDR but from what I understand you could just take two images in a situation like this (one exposed for the sky and one for the ground) and then combine them so that the image is properly exposed for both ground and sky. This is more like what the eye would see.

There are several different programs for doing this. It looks like Photomatix is pretty popular and Photoshop has a HDR plugin. I'm not sure what software you use so I didn't include anything that looked too software specific.

Hope that answers your question.

HDR is basically just taking the same shot at different exposure levels and then combining these shots so that you can get a larger "dynamic range" than the original camera had. You've probably ran into the problem of setting an exposure for the sky and loosing detail in the ground due to underexposure. Then you set the exposure for the ground and the sky is completely white.

I have never used HDR but from what I understand you could just take two images in a situation like this (one exposed for the sky and one for the ground) and then combine them so that the image is properly exposed for both ground and sky. This is more like what the eye would see.

There are several different programs for doing this. It looks like Photomatix is pretty popular and Photoshop has a HDR plugin. I'm not sure what software you use so I didn't include anything that looked too software specific.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks, this is all you had to say....I know how to use google, I'm actually pretty good at it too......I also use lots of forums, there's a reason for that.....move along now

and this post is the exact reason why this Forum has gone down the tubes! When i first started coming on this site everyone was so helpful and nice! Now not one question can be asked or a answer given without some Noob giving a AS*HOLE comment! there is always a a** everywhere you go But this website has filled up with wannbe know it all smartasses in the past 2 months! It's a shame. because some people worked really hard to make this website work! And there isn't much of a Mod on this forum (probably because there was never a need for one) to regulate all the little boys with there piss hardons for the world. I appologise Tennessee for the ignorance in this post. But there are still a few great people on here that only care to help and chat nicely. but this is why I hardly am on here anymore. Too much childish arguing.

The guy did apologise, there is no need to bring this up or to keep on at him.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back