What does "Post-Processing" entail?

Claire Pacelli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Nikon D3100 comes in today, I am very excited!! I am halfway through Understanding Exposure and can't wait to practice my Apertures/SS/ISO mix ect.

However, I keep reading about "Post Processing". I googled the term, and it's very general.

Is post processing something you do with your camera's software after you upload it to your pc? Or is it just the general "time I spend editing fixing sharpness and photoshopping the image after it's uploaded to my desktop." Any clarification would be helpful =)

Thanks
Claire :hug::

Any PP you do: changing it to B&W, adjusting saturation, cropping. Anything you do after uploading the photo as per editing is called Post processing.

Awesome! I had a feeling that's what it was, but since my camera comes in today I wanted to be absolutley sure of that. It's my first dslr so I can barely wait for 5pm to roll around to get off work!

Nice the D3100 is a great starter camera for sure. Make sure you actually read your manual it will definately help you out the most. More then asking any of us here. Everybody here will point you towards your camera manual.
Happy shooting!

Here's a web page detailing various types of posts.

Fence Posts. Caps, Pressure, Treated, Wood, Metal, Steel, Plastic

(humor alert!)

I hope it's what you're looking for. The entire subject of post work is soooooo broad it's hard to cover in such a small space as here. Scott Kelby has some stuff on-line, books, and training. I'd suggest looking into some of the various on-line Photoshop or retouching forums for insight--it's an entire sub-field of photography.

Here's a web page detailing various types of posts.

Fence Posts. Caps, Pressure, Treated, Wood, Metal, Steel, Plastic

(humor alert!)

I hope it's what you're looking for. The entire subject of post work is soooooo broad it's hard to cover in such a small space as here. Scott Kelby has some stuff on-line, books, and training. I'd suggest looking into some of the various on-line Photoshop or retouching forums for insight--it's an entire sub-field of photography.

lol! I appreciate the info on Scott kelby! I am a good amature photoshop designer, so hopefully with some online tutorials I will be ok, I do plan on taking photoshop 1 next term and follow up with 2. I want to be able to lower the post processing time by deleting the "figuring it out" factor. I wanna look at a photo, have the eye to know what needs to be done, and then know what steps to take right away.

Thanks again!

For photography, it's best to do the majority of it pre-process, or in the camera before the shutter is released, rather than post process or after the shutter has been released.

The key is use of light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back