What does your camera bag weigh?

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, so I'm bored...

There are lot's of "What's in your camera bag?" threads, I thought it would be interesting to see how much weight everyone is lugging around.

Mine weighs in at about 16 lbs. (that's 7.25kg for anyone not in the US).

5.133Kg without tripod
8.233Kg with tripod (though as the tripod is held away from the back it feels like more!)
from website estimations (no set of scales!) so a little higher with other things in there as well like batteries and the flashgun!

and there is only 3 proper lenses in there - though I do have all my teleconverters with me -- bag won't get much lighter since I will probably only leave those behind if I get another lens - bag is full now!

Oooh, I forgot about the tripod (I only attach it to the bag when I'm getting ready to go out), the tripod probably weighs about 3 lbs (1.36kg). So, including the tripod I'm somewhere around 19 lbs/8.6kg.

tripod head as well? ;)
looking at the weights one can see why carbonfibre is worth that extra cost!

The head stays on the tripod all the time. ;)

I actually prefer a heavy tripod. The carbon fiber ones would be nice for hiking, but I like the stability that only weight can give you.

very true the added weight is nice when you have a telephoto or some long zooming monster on the tripod!
Still I think I will end up with both varieties oneday - one for walking and one for shorter trips (and chances are I will favour one over the other and use it for all cases ;))

Mine changes quite frequently depending on how long i'm going to shoot, what i'm going to shoot, or just how I feel. My most common set that I head out the door with is a camera with two lenses is about 2.2kg or 4.8lbs. Add another 1.2kg or 2.5lbs for the tripod and head.

Without tripod - 19.2lbs/8.7kg

With tripod - 24.6lbs/11.1kg

I actually prefer a heavy tripod. The carbon fiber ones would be nice for hiking, but I like the stability that only weight can give you.

A little off topic but here's a good compromise:

Get the carbon fiber and weigh it down with your bag or rocks. IMO, the only disadvantage I see with carbon fiber is price. There are other characteristics of carbon fiber (and other materials) to consider beyond just weight. The most stable tripods are still those made of good ol'fashion wood... but not exactly practical in terms of packing and weight.

A little off topic but here's a good compromise:

Get the carbon fiber and weigh it down with your bag or rocks. IMO, the only disadvantage I see with carbon fiber is price. There are other characteristics of carbon fiber (and other materials) to consider beyond just weight. The most stable tripods are still those made of good ol'fashion wood... but not exactly practical in terms of packing and weight.
Good point. I will definitely remember that when it's time to buy a new tripod.

Holy Crap!

I just weighed my tripod, it weighs 7lbs (3.17kg), not 3!

That makes my total weight, including tripod 23lbs/10.43kg.

Holy Crap!

I just weighed my tripod, it weighs 7lbs (3.17kg), not 3!

That makes my total weight, including tripod 23lbs/10.43kg.

I feel your pain...literally

:lmao:

I feel your pain...literally

:lmao:

I used to be like you guys.... walking miles and miles with that weight. I then I realized
1) I'm not getting paid for this
2) I'll regret it when my back is out at 45
3) I'm suppose to enjoy this torture?

Don't get me wrong, I still have heavy equipment that I enjoy but I'll plan accordingly.

don'T have a large camera bag.

but my tiny shoulder bag (camera + two lenses + batteries, one or two filters, CF cards, speckgrabber, cable release) makes about 3 kg.

The rest is usually in a normal backpack, adds up to about 8-9 kg including my rather light tripod.

my tripod is under 2 kg including ballhead, my panorama head adds about 1 kg to that.

add: since I usually plan ahead, I do not carry it all, usually never more than 6 kg.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back