What DSLR to buy

gsd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What DSLR would you recommend to buy? I would like to take pictures of my kids doing gymnastics in a room with poor light. I really cannot get close to them. I would like to take pictures at dance recitals with poor lighting. I would also like to take pictures of them outside. I currently own a Digital Canon Rebel XTI with the kit lens and a canon 50mm f1.8. I am considering the Digital Canon 5d. I have problems shooting in the low lighting. My camera's flash resets and I have delays in taking pictures which is a problem. I would appreciate anyone's suggestions. Thank you!

hmm the Rebel is a fine camera and you have a fast lens so (as you say) the weakness is your camera flash. Generally the builtin flashes are not very good for most uses past quick snaps
The canon speedlite 580EXII flash often comes very highly recomended and would be a big inprovment over the cameras own flash.
Its also considerably cheaper than a whole new camera body

Overread, do you think there could be an advantage to getting a full frame for what I need the camera for? Gymnastics, Dance Recitals all with poor lighting.

there might be but its beyond my understanding to be able to comment. but a good flash unit would be a decent addition for low light indoors work for any camera (the built in flashes are mostly similar in construction - good for a quick snap but not much more)

Like Overread stated, your problem is not your camera. No camera body will solve your problem, you need the right lens. Your 50mm, F1.8 is fast enough, but you need to be reasonable close to use it. A fast telephoto or zoom telephoto would do the trick, but these can get expensive.

The pop up flash on the XT/XTi is pretty much useless. The 430EX is about $100 less than the 580EXII and is probably all you need for now.

Your kit lens should work fine for outside pictures. Be sure to adjust your ISO setting as well as your aperture and shutter speed.

Thank you overread and davebmck! I appreciate your help!

If you can get close enough and you're actually allowed to use a flash then a good flash would be the way to go. Otherwise the real serious guys are using 1D MkII/n or MkIII pro bodies that work well at iso3200 or higher, along with super fast glass. A 5D will do better at high ISO than any Rebel or 30/40D, but with the full frame sensor you lose a lot of reach.

Hahaha.

The Rebel will do you fine. You dont need the 5D. Just buy a new lens and external flash. Problem solved.

Are these people going to be cool with you using an even more powerful flash than the one thats on your camera?

And yea. . .if you have the cash to buy a pro-body, why not just spend that on better lenses (better being used to refer to your ability to get in close without sacrificing speed).

Most reactions

Back