What equipment do I need?

8hourtechnorave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wanting to get into photography and now I am ready to get my equipment. I've done some research and I don't think I'm ready for a high-end Canon or Nikon, plus I'm on a lower budget, so I'm thinking of a Pentax or Olympus. I am mostly going to do a lot of snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, ect. Extreme sports like that. so can anyone recommend some good cameras and what I'll need?

Based on your intended use, I would avoid Olympus; they're excellent cameras, but the sensor size they use (4/3 format) means that wide glass is less common. Of course if you feel that you'll be shooting from a long distance, then Olympus might be right for you.

Pentax makes some excellent gear - as to a specific body, you really need to head down to a REAL camera store (NOT a box store that sells cameras) explain to the clerk what you want to do and what your budget is, and then pick up and play with the various options he or she suggests.

Have you looked into a used DSLR? I know I see tons of used Rebels on craigslist all the time. Just a thought.

Have you looked into a used DSLR? I know I see tons of used Rebels on craigslist all the time. Just a thought.

Yeah I've been looking at used stuff on amazon but I never thoght about craigslist. I think I am probably going to get a used camera.

If there is any chance of expanding into more pro gear than I'd say stick with nikon or canon.

Starting photography is like buying yourself a new family, do you want a small family or a large one?

If you don't want to get a slr than look at lumix DMC-fz35 , lot if good reviews on amazon and the picture quality is great. I recently bought it and I an happy so far.

I am wanting to get into photography and now I am ready to get my equipment. I've done some research and I don't think I'm ready for a high-end Canon or Nikon, plus I'm on a lower budget, so I'm thinking of a Pentax or Olympus. I am mostly going to do a lot of snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, ect. Extreme sports like that. so can anyone recommend some good cameras and what I'll need?

Shooting action sports requires some fairly specific features and equipment, particularly if you will be shooting at night.

You'll need lenses with maximum apertures that allow enough shutter speed to stop motion. (Critical for low light situations)
You'll find it very helpful if the camera has a decent frames-per-second rate for burst mode shooting.

The Olympus cameras have a 2x crop factor which apparently adds reach to a lens, but at the same time negtively affects depth-of-field.

How much night or low light shooting to you expect to do, and what is your budget?

Not a direct answer to your question, but the best camera to get is one you're willing to carry with you.

Snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding .. are pretty intense activities.
If you leave the camera home because the DSLR is to big and bulky, or the tiny P&S is to fragile, what's the point.

As a beginner I'd worry less about the bells and whistles this camera has over another and more about getting a camera that's rugged and rain tight.

Shooting action sports requires some fairly specific features and equipment, particularly if you will be shooting at night.

You'll need lenses with maximum apertures that allow enough shutter speed to stop motion. (Critical for low light situations)
You'll find it very helpful if the camera has a decent frames-per-second rate for burst mode shooting.

The Olympus cameras have a 2x crop factor which apparently adds reach to a lens, but at the same time negtively affects depth-of-field.

How much night or low light shooting to you expect to do, and what is your budget?

Well I will probably have a budget of $500 or so. I'm not too worried about needing to get night photos just yet since I'm just beginning but later once I have some more money and experience i will probably get into it more.

get a used camera. I got a nikon d200 (a pretty awesome starter camera for a noob) with an 18-135 lens for 600 even. Now, the 5fps isnt anything pro, but works pretty well. It an awesome camera. I would stick with canon or nikon just because the variety of lenses they offer. Also, i think canon has the more affordable series of lenses than nikon. Nikon sadly only makes f2.8 lenses in the pro range. However, canon sells their f2.8 pro line, as well as a f4 line, which is MUCH more affordable. Just some things to think about.

get a used camera. I got a nikon d200 (a pretty awesome starter camera for a noob) with an 18-135 lens for 600 even.
You got an exceptional deal. A D200 in good condition is worth $600, all by itself.

The chances of someone else duplicating your luck, are very slim.

Most reactions

Back