What equipment should I be saving up for?

Lockeseven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got my Nikon D3100 along with 3 lenses, a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, a Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6, and my kit lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. I'm using an SB-400 for my flash. So my question is what other lenses or upgrades or other type of equipment should I be saving up for? I've found that I'm pretty much in love with photography and I don't mind seriously investing in equipment for a potential future in the trade. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Go for better lenses than kit lenses, buy a better flash unit and eventually buy a better body. Maybe instead of zooms buy primes. There is always something better out there.

Any specific suggestions for upgrades of my current lenses? Or for a new lens who's range I don't have covered with my current 3?

You have a good selection of lenses already. If you do want to spend some money, a flash you can trigger off camera and maybe some filters would not be a bad thing. A tripod might not be a bad purchase either.

It's not all about the greatest and latest gear, my 9 year old daughter has a pocket point and shoot but through continual 'shooting' her photos are progressively getting better and better. She is developing an eye for composition and is managing to bring some imagination to her photographs.

I currently use a QSX 6601 which is a pretty lightweight tripod that's easy to carry with me but I'm going to assume that all tripods are not created equally so upgrade suggestions to my tripod would be welcome too.

Filters are one area that I haven't ventured into yet. I have an ultraviolet filter on all of my current lens but that's just for protection...

How bout a 70-200 2.8 lens?

first off, what kind of photography are you most interested in? There are so many different variation of lens that it's hard to just recommend you on one. Do you like action/sport, portraits/studio, ultra wide/landscape, macro, general walk around zoom.... just name a few.

I think I'm mostly interested in landscapes and portraits. I don't foresee myself shooting sports too often. My favorite shots are ones in which the subject doesn't seem to be aware of the camera. Capturing life as it happens, unposed.

You're setup is pretty good for someone starting out. There's no reason to upgrade right away.

In the future you may want to consider upgrading your two kit lenses (the 35mm is a keeper!). But those upgrades will be expensive. A 70-200mm AFS costs more then all of your current equipment combined.

The advantage of upgrading the lenses is better optical performance (contrast/sharpness), better low light performance, and a tighter DOF.

I feel pretty good about my current setup but I just want to have a plan for the future. That way I can start setting aside money now with the intent of purchasing new gear in few months or more.

A 70-200 2.8 lens is pretty much an essential piece of gear for any photographer who is looking to get serious about his work. Not saying you need one now, but down the road if you start making money in it, it is a great investment. The only thing it isn't useful for is landscapes. For sports, portraits, weddings, product shots, it can be a very useful lens to have.

Invest in fast glass, and you will never regret it. Good glass makes a bigger difference than you would ever imagine.

Last edited:
I think I'm mostly interested in landscapes and portraits. I don't foresee myself shooting sports too often. My favorite shots are ones in which the subject doesn't seem to be aware of the camera. Capturing life as it happens, unposed.

Your current setup is more than capable for landscape and portraits but when you're ready for an upgrade look into a 50mm f/1.4G. On a DX sensor it'll give you an equiv of a 75mm which is great for portraits. For landscape, you'll need good filters, solid tripod and a versatile ultrawide zoom lens. Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is a highly rated lens.

For landscape definitely polarizer filter. A lot of people use graduated neutral density filters although I never have they seem to be a favorite. I never think of a tripod but yes a tripod. An ultra wide zoom or prime as was mentioned for landscape work. I kind of disagree with a 50mm since you have a 35mm; I would try for the 85 or 105mm prime for portraits. I think the SB400 has the same output as the on camera flash or it's not too much better - a better flash with bounce/soft box accessories or off camera flash capabilities for portraits. Bag(s) to hold your gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back