what "exactly" is Macro/Micro ?

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Before I ramble away, My basic question is what exactly is Macro in relation to Professional Photography.

I see (Nikon) macro lenses with CRC. A couple of my lenses have Macro modes but not CRC.

I nearly bought a 60mm macro lens after I first got my D7000. But I couldn't figure out why - so I got my 50mm then 75-300 instead. And lately I see several people getting that same 60mm macro lens. I thought about it again as it would maybe make a nice portrait lens between the 50 and 85mm. But luckily, I keep asking myself .. why?

Pointing my 75-300 in Macro mode towards a set of mountains 20 miles away I figure is not really macro.

Neither is it pointing that same lens to some small flowers from 10 feet away, or even 4 feet away.

My 50mm/1.8 came with some magnifying filter lens on it, which is kinda neat in it's own.

I can take a picture of my watches with the 75-300 and get great detail without being super close, and thus my lighting can work well without me and the camera being in way of the flashes.

I also recall reading about flipping the lens backwards ... and on and on and on.

But I believe Macro is not simply a "Close up" with the camera.

:scratch:

True macro means the subject will be replicated life-sized on the sensor (known as 1:1). Some lenses are labeled macro but give you half sized at best. Getting macro shots means being really close to your subject.

A macro lens has the ability to focus extremely close to a subject in order to get the 1 : 1 (life size) ratio. Macro lens can bring out an insane amount of detail in the smallest of subjects, unfortunately it can be a very fiddly process and it can take time to get used to the lens. I love macro regardless how frustrating it can be

Since there is no official definition, macro and micro can mean anything you want them to mean. I could toss a ham & cheese sandwich on a plate and call it macro.

But generally speaking, 'macro' is considered by most as starting at a 1:1 magnification ratio. Meaning a subject that is, say, 10mm across, will be projected onto the film or digital sensor as an image measuring 10mm across.

Since there is no official definition, macro and micro can mean anything you want them to mean. I could toss a ham & cheese sandwich on a plate and call it macro.

But generally speaking, 'macro' is considered by most as starting at a 1:1 magnification ratio. Meaning a subject that is, say, 10mm across, will be projected onto the film or digital sensor as an image measuring 10mm across.

This ham and cheese sandwich on a plate, which you tease and taunt us with...it sounds delicious!!! I like mine grilled, with real butter in the skillet, and very,very thinly-sliced onions added...just a bit of onions, not too much...

I just spent like 10 minutes searching my pBase galleries for a shot of a ham and cheese sammich on a fine China plate, that I took some years ago..could not find the doggone picture!

Ham and cheese.........................Bah!!!! If it ain't BACON!!!! it's CRAP!

okay, Ham, Cheese and Bacon
does anyone have a macro picture of one of them sandwiches ?

okay, Ham, Cheese and Bacon
does anyone have a macro picture of one of them sandwiches ?

As you wish:

WII77P2.jpg

:mrgreen:

you guys are silly :hail:

Someone needs to take a macro shot of some bacon now.

When talking about equipment, macro lenses are optimized to perform their best at their minimum focus distance while other lenses are made to shoot best at infinity.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back