What Film?

wil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I figured I would get some opions. What would be the best film to do Mountains/Landscapes. I will be shooting Mt. Rainier on Thursday. I want something with vibrent colors that will really show the snow well and the foliage also. I might even convert to some black & whites in PS CS2. If any one has suggestions that would be great. Thx

i use fugi reala 100 for all my landscape needs, i havent tried Velvia yet because the place i go to doesnt have it in Slow ASA ratings. speaking of which, can i still find film slower then 100 ASA? i have my dads pentax MX from the 1970's and he said he used to use ASA 24 with it but i have never found it.

The only new-production film that is still available (that I am aware of) is Ilford PanF 50 (B+W) and Kodachrome and Ektachrome 64. Those are all probably on their way out as well. Most places that have reasonable stock will still have Fuji Velvia 50. A few months ago I got lucky and got some of what must have been the end of the run of Techpan (25), still in date!

I have heard the argument that the new Velvia 100 is supposed to be as good in every way as the 50, and I haven't had the opportunity to compare (nor would I have the authority to make any meaningful conclusions) but I suspect the issue is much more that film is on it's way out overall and the expensive slow films are the first to go.

Dave

I hate to disagree but film is not on its way out.

Well, it may take a couple of decades before it reaches obscure status but it is becoming harder to purchase and develop good film, partly because sales are down and partly because it encourages purchase of new digital equipment. When you consider the films that are already gone (Kodachrome 25, Konica 50, Techpan 25 and now Velvia 50) and those that are one foot in the grave (Ilford PanF and Kodachrome 64) it's a disturbing trend. Were any of these replaced by superior film? I could be and would love to be wrong...

Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back