What filter should I use...

awolffh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there, I am looking for some suggestions. I have to take photos of some gift baskets at my work, and the ones I have taken so far are good except for the glare from the cellophane wrap that the baskets are covered in. Can anyone recommend which filters may help to reduce this glare and produce a better photo? Would it just be any circular polarized filter or is that entirely wrong? I have never taken photos of anything like this before so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Unless you can remove the cellophane for the photos and replace it afterwards. A circular polariser will help but won't remove the problem completely. Try very diffuse and indirect lighting.

Thanks for the replies... I can't remove the cellophane because it is the whole 'gift basket' idea we want to sell so we want photos of them all wrapped up with the cellophane and bow looking pretty. I will try a circular polarizer and also the lighting tips and hope for the best. Thanks again guys, I appreciate it. Any specific circular polarizer or are all brands the same? I have not ever looked at them so I am not sure what choices are out there.

Depending on the lens you're using you may find you get some vignetting, which should be reduced by using a very thin filter. That will also probably be a high quality filter. Although it isn't an infallible rule, if the filter is cheap the results probably will be as well.

The camera is a Nikon D40 DSLR. The lens is (and this is from its manual, I don't know which info is important, sorry I am just a beginner! ):

AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor
55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

Thanks again for your help, the info is appreciated. I will look for a good quality thin filter

You shouldn't have to worry about a thin filter for that lens.

Do you mean that I should not use a filter at all or just not a thin one? Without a filter at all the glare is quite evident in the photos

Vignetting is NOT going to be a problem with your lens, so any circular polarizer will work fine, and will help to reduce the glare.

skieur

Thank you so much everyone who replied, off to get a filter. I appreciate your help.

Most reactions

Back