What filters exactly do I need to protect lenses?

Leftyplayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got the camera. Will be getting the bag and a flash. Already have an old tripod. I need filters (just to protect the lenses) and lense cleaning stuff. But when I checked Adorama, they have like a gabilliion different filters there. I have the Canon Rebel kit lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm). What filter do I need for these guys just for the purpose of putting something at the end that will protect the lense? I'm not looking for fancy filters yet. Just can't figure it out by looking at the website. And what cleaning equipment do I need?

Instead of a 'protective' lens filter, I use my lens hoods and common sense. If I were to be close to the action of a moto-cross event or a sandstorm in the desert, that might be a time to reconsider.

If you're going to buy anyway, don't cheap out.

I do suggest a CPL (circular polarizer) and an ND (neautral density) or two and to a lesser extent a GND (graduated neautral density) might come in handy.

Thom Hogan says.........
Filters by Thom Hogan

There are 2 schools of thought - Put a clear or UV filter on (old school) and go without (new school). I am old school and decided to use a UV filter for protection of the front lens element.

I agree on the polarizer but not so much on the ND.

I used an old crappy P&S as a test to see how resilient the glass on these things can be. This POS camera was virtually impervious to any normal wear and tear. Dust will absolutely not in any circumstance scratch the lens, no matter how hard you rub it against the lens (in my "tests"). If you are unfortunate (dumb) enough to rub a very hard substance against the lens then...(spouts random derogatory statements).

I use a lens hood to keep dust to a minimum. Unless you are shooting in a desert, I don't think a "protective filter" is in any way helpful...especially w/the horror stories of a dropped camera's broken filter actually scratching the lens it was supposed to protect. The glass on a good quality lens is extremely hard...doesn't scratch easily.

The only question I have is whether the various coatings these lenses have are impacted by frequent cleanings...I'd think not but just don't know for sure.

There are 2 schools of thought - Put a clear or UV filter on (old school) and go without (new school). I am old school and decided to use a UV filter for protection of the front lens element.
I am old school too, and have never used a UV or any other filter for 'protection' and don't recommend they be used for that purpose. They are an unnecessary expense, IMO.

When I shot film I used to a UV filter on ocassion to pre-process a negative, but then off it came.

Digital image sensors have a built-in UV filter so one on the front of a lens will not improve your photo, but a cheap one can make your photos worse.

Adding glass to the front of a lens adds problems: lens flare, loss of contrast, and when shattered or broken, sharp shards of glass that can actually damage the lens front objective it was intended to 'protect'.

A UV/clear filter is a thin, flat piece of glass. Lenses objectives tend to be thicker and many are backed by correcting lens elements that make the entire group much stronger.

A lens hood designed for your lens will not add problems, in fact is solves some like the already mentioned lens flare and contrast loss. a lens hood also provides a 'safe zone' around the front lens element.

Nothing provides better protection than good camera handeling technique, and basic common sense and situational awareness.

Check out this example of "Front Element Scratches":
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratcheshttp://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/faq.php

I don't use anything to protect the lens. I keep the cap on when I'm not shooting and that's it.

and there's this...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzOLbMPe0u8[/ame]

Back in the 70's I only shot slide film and always kept the UV filter on - never a problem; I bought a rubber lens hood to counter lens flare. The comon thought around what I've read back then and to other amateur people was to get a UV and leave it on. I agree about being careful, using cheap filters and lens flare but I find using the new lens with it's hood a PITA and maybe it's that I'm not used to it. Personally I have never had anything bad happen to my lens so I can't speak of any misfortunes other than a dead camera battery.

DennyCrane: I nearly soiled myself when he took the claw end to the lens. :biglaugh: Cheers.....

I don't use a filter. I have the L series Canon lenses and can't see spending that much money on great glass to cover it with a filter. Just be careful with or without a filter.

OK, I learned something today! I was putting on a new camera strap so that I don't scream NIKON in bright yellow and the stupid lens hood was sitting on the bottom of the bag where it normally sits after falling off. I put the hood on the lens and it was just flopping around until I decided to turn it a little further than where it usually stopped - CLICK - it stayed in place ... maybe it's not as stupid as I thought ... it's the stupid operator of a lens hood!! :blushing:

Back in the 70's I only shot slide film and always kept the UV filter on - never a problem; I bought a rubber lens hood to counter lens flare. The comon thought around what I've read back then and to other amateur people was to get a UV and leave it on. I agree about being careful, using cheap filters and lens flare but I find using the new lens with it's hood a PITA and maybe it's that I'm not used to it. Personally I have never had anything bad happen to my lens so I can't speak of any misfortunes other than a dead camera battery.

Dust and scratches on the outer element will not appear on an image in most circumstances. The filter may or may not stop flying gravel and other debris. A lens hood will offer the most protection if your camera is swinging from your shoulder and hits something. Unless you spend a lot on your filter, well, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link, and a lens is only as good as the cheapest filter. You might just invest in a hood and some renter's insurance.

Most reactions

Back