What flash?

3of11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have worked with natural light only and now want to expand and purchase a nice flash. I shoot portraits and am getting into weddings. I actually have a wedding coming up in a few months and want to get the flash and have it figured out before then. Any suggestions for me?

Question cannot be answered without knowing what camera system you shoot with...

Sorry I didn't include my camera info earlier.

Canon 30D
17-85mm
50mm

I can spend up to $1000. I don't want to spend that much though.

I love using natural light but I need a back-up, especially for the wedding. I am debating between the newest Canon 430 and 580 speedlights. I just don't know which one will be best for me. I don't want to regret buying the 430 if I am just going to want the 580 later, but at the same time I am not going to be using it that often.

Also, what are the flash stands called that connect to your camera and are about a foot high?

If you go for the 580M2 then you will get a master flash - that means it can be used to triggor other flashes in a multiflash setup - this might be important for your kind of photography = even if you won't get the kit till later. It also has more power than the 430s - not sure if that is a realy noticable effect or not

If you go for the 580M2 then you will get a master flash - that means it can be used to triggor other flashes in a multiflash setup - this might be important for your kind of photography = even if you won't get the kit till later. It also has more power than the 430s - not sure if that is a realy noticable effect or not

My dislike of TTL is debatable.

For the Canon EOS system, I'd recoomend a 580EX if you can afford it. I have the mark 1 version and it's been completely reliable.

if that is a bit expensive, you should have a serious look at the 430EX. Not as many features, but for the sort of theings you'll be shooting it will serve you very well.

Then go and read the flash photography article over on photonotes. And get out there and practice using it!

...but at the same time I am not going to be using it that often.

Honestly, I said the same thing when I bought my Nikon SB-800 over the 600 for my brother's wedding. Now I can't live without it. Once you realize how much more you can do with a flash, you'll be addicted. My opinion... go big. :thumbup::mrgreen:

Really short tripod?

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

I suggest one TTL enabled flash and a few cheap manuals. Vivitar 283's are going for $35 on e-bay. That and the required accessories.

he he. Man I feel like an idiot. I was referring to ones that attach to the top of your camera (I am guessing they connect to the flash attachment) that hold the flash about a foot high and to the side a bit. Does that make sense?

Flash bracket?

Honestly, I said the same thing when I bought my Nikon SB-800 over the 600 for my brother's wedding. Now I can't live without it. Once you realize how much more you can do with a flash, you'll be addicted. My opinion... go big. :thumbup::mrgreen:

I did. Go big.

I just ordered an SB-900 yesterday. I can't wait to get it.

You all have been VERY helpful. I am going to get the 580 and am super excited about it. Thanks for your input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back