What Fstop is the 50mm 1.4 USM with 5d Mark 2 sharpest at?

rockstarsmasher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What Fstop is the 50mm 1.4 USM with 5d Mark 2 sharpest at?

What Fstop do you recommend for full body shots?

f/5.6 to f/7.1.

Go to: Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM review: Digital Photography Review

On the review, pick the "Test Results (Full Frame)" on the pull-down menu.

The graph on that page is interactive. Grab the f-stop and slide it left-right to change it. The image changes color and the graph will change as you change the f-stop to show the MTF curve of the lens.

At f/5.6 it is sharpest in the center... but less so at the edges. At f/6.3 the center drops _very_ slightly.. but the edges improve considerably. At f/7.1 the edges improve a tiny bit more.

This assumes you're focused and your lens is calibrated to the camera body.

Mully, you're so rude. Of course I look these things up before I ask them.

If you don't know the answer or don't have anything useful to say please don't harass.

Tim Campbell, thank you again. See now that was a useful response.

You keep asking these basic questions ...look this stuff up on google before posting it here.

Please remember that half the time you look something up on google for photography TPF appears near the very top of the list - so many people do come here to ask basic questions. If you don't like the question though you can choose to freely not reply instead of replying with snarky responses which do no one any favours and help no one.

Thank you Overread for standing up for us noobs. :)

I never rely on anyone else's results.... I always run my own. I put a new lens on my camera, set it up on a tripod on a sunny day, Mirror up, Remote trigger, ISO 100......and take a shot at every full aperture. I then pixel-peep the results and determine what I think is the sharpest aperture for my lens and my camera.....for both the center and the corners.

Most reactions

Back