What Graphics Editing Software do I Buy?

Tigers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am between Paint Shop Pro and Microsoft Picture It Digital Suite. I just don't know which one to go with. Paint Shop Pro works for me but it seems really complicated to use. Maybe I've not spent enough time learning about it in the trial version. I can't download Picture It to try it out so I'm afraid I'm taking a chance but from the web page, it looks like it might be a little more user friendly. Photoshop is too expensive and out of the question. I'm looking at $100 - $130. Has anyone used the Microsoft photo editing software and like it? Thanks!

I don't know if you are a student or not, but Photoshop is only $300 if you are. I know it's more than what you said you wanted to spend, but it is the industry standard. Otherwise, What about Photoshop Elements? Through Journeyed.com (student software) you can get it for $50.

I have no experience with the other 2. But I would guess Picture-it would have the fewest tools.

I would have to agree, Photoshop is the way to go. If you are purely using it for photo editing purposes, Photoshop Elements is the way to go. It may seem complex, but the tools are very simple and straight forward.

Newsted

I would have to agree, Photoshop is by far the best option. What do you want the program for? If all you need is a crop and minor color adjustments and simple things, elements would be right up your alley. If you want to REALLY have fun....Spend the extra money and get photoshop. Its a little intimadating at first but once you use it, and study it, its an great tool. Plus you can put cool plug-ins on it too!

I know this particular program is refernced in another thread, but I am partial to theGIMP. I guess more, because I like the whole Open Source Idea, but it is as good as photoshop in most aspects, but unlike photoshop it can be had for some bandwidth. (ie it is a free download.) It is of course far from perfect, it's biggest drawback being that it has a fairly steep learning curve (but then agian refering to photoshop as "daunting" tells me it does too.) anyway, that is my $0.02.

WolfePak
(As Chaseman says: Avoid the Gates of hell use Linux (sub with Open source for Linux. :) )

Throwing a big "oh yeah" to the open source movment and the GIMP. That said I use both GIMP and Photoshop. Gimp is what I use on Linux and any box where I dont have my Photoshop. But I prefer Photoshop just for its slick profesional interface. GIMP can do just about anything Photoshop can do you will just have to find the tutorial first. :) If it doesnt do what you want why, re write the code and share the module with the rest of us.
:)

Cheers
PS Steer away from MS Picure it. Dummy interface and enriches the Bill.

While Adobe Photoshop is the standard, I'd sugges sticking with Paintshop if you find that a little difficult to use already. Photoshop IS a great program but is usually in the realms of people with a thick wallet (or purse) or professionals. Few people (that I know) that use Photoshop seem to know all it's ins and outs and usually seem to stick to the simpler workings of the program.

I'm not saying PaintShopPro is the best overall, but from what you'd described originally, I'd say look into it more. PaintShopPro is in version 8 now and if you looked at version 7, you might consider looking at version 8 as there has been huge developments in the program.

But that's just me, I could be wrong, usually am. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back