What happend

yellowjeep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
nickginther.imagekind.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I developed my first rolls today, for the most part I am very pleased with how the came out. I started a thread in the B&W gallery to show some of the stuff I liked.

I lost a few frames because I assume I mis-loaded the film on the reel and it it was touching. There were to segments of film that were undeveloped, can that becaused by touching film?

I took some photos of my car and none of them seemed like they were developed right, any ideas on what I did wrong?

Click the 2nd photo for the rest of the set.

2574840824_d64f31550f.jpg

One other question. Every time I have ever tried to scan a picture (neg) of the sky It comes out super grainy and just generally ****ty looking. Is this just the nature of sky pictures or am I doing some thing wrong?

It could be that the temperature of the water wasn't quite right. That combined with the fact that some of the film was touching in the canister, I would say that's the issue. I'm not really sure though, because I didn't really have issues with that. As far as the grain in the sky, I think that you should take another roll of film and practice developing and then after printing scan it. If it's still grainy, and you developed and printed correctly, make sure the ISO of the film you're using is appropriate for the lighting, and make sure you're properly exposing when taking the picture.

scanning is another technique that needs study and practice.

on the first photo it appears you have some serious water sludge (residue left when the water dries)

on the second one , could you have a camera strap or something else hanging in front of the lens? a light leak would be total black.

and yes if the film is touching it will not develop but it doesn't look anything like your post. and usually is only an issue when learning to use ss reels. It is rare when one uses plastic ones(i have only seen it once in teaching for over 40 years)

It could very possibly be water. My shop was out of photoflo so I did with out
I am using a SS reel and there are a few frames that were definitly touching. I am pretty sure the was nothing in front of the lens. If you look though the photos I linked to, it happed in more than one frame and its different in each.

I mis-loaded ss reels causing undeveloped and unfixed areas, and they came out much worst than yours. I had nothing where you have an image. And mine was only bad on the first few frames because of a warped reel. I know that doesn’t help you, but that’s the best I can come up with.

PS Even without Photoflo, you would have to have ridiculous water problems for those big splotches.

Thanks Early. To clarify, the frames that were touching we completly undeveloped. Just the greenish grey color of film, I will post a picture of that when I get off work. I tend to think it is not water because the majority of them came out petty well.... Who knows I am going to do another run today or tomorrow I geuss we will find out.

I picked up some Photo-flo on my way home I have a strip drying right now. As far as I can tell it looks good, the strange frames must have been anomaly....

Here is picture of the section from the first run.

2575670411_9653298dfc.jpg

Not being doing this much myself but it does look as if something was touching that area? Buy an old cheap colour film or 5 and use them to try loading your reel etc just to make sure it's not damaged in some way?

I keep a few 'test' rolls of colour film i use to try on old cameras and stuff like that, handy to have.

But it does look to me like something was touching that part. Could be wrong though.

I have a strip of film that I practiced with, The shots I took today came out much better. I had a much easier time loading the reel as well.
I guess it was just sign of my newbness

Ack these things happen. That looks much better though (also your other pics in B&W forum).

Just out of interest what film and developer etc are you using?

I picked up some Photo-flo on my way home I have a strip drying right now. As far as I can tell it looks good, the strange frames must have been anomaly....

Here is picture of the section from the first run.

2575670411_9653298dfc.jpg
Yeah, that's what mine looked like when used a warped reel, and it was only in the first few frames.

PS You should round off the corners before inserting the film into the reel. But if you still get the same thing, find another reel.

Most reactions

Back