What Happened to my Photo?

It's really pretty hard to scratch the front lens element, unless you routinely treat your gear in a reckless manner and never use the lens hood. The lens hood offers both scratch and impact protection to the lens.

I baby my gear and am using both a hood and the filter. Just to be safe.

hey its just a kit 18-55, i dont even use a filter on my 24-70

I know its a kit lens but I also have a filter on my 55-300mm and plan on putting one on my 35mm that will be here tomorrow.

That kind of reflection is present on some lenses too even without the filter. A classic case is the Nikkor AF 80-200 f/2.8D.

A high quality filter will reduce this. But any glass on the front of the element adds another reflection source.

I take filters off when doing this kind of night time photography.

yeah.. i used to use filters until i saw a friend drop his lens the filter shattered.. and the thread got all messed up... couldn't get the broken filter off without taking it in for repairs. I haven't used a filter (for protection) for 3 year and never scratched a lens. :)

I have over $6,000 in lenses, and I don't use filters on any of them. Why would you put a $50 filter in front of a $1,500 lens?

Yes why would you put a $50 filter in front of a $1500 lens. I'd put a $50 filter in front of a $400 lens maybe, but that's it.

You might try using the lens hood to protect your front element. Lacking that, you might have to rely on the lens cap to keep your glass safe when not in use.

I have read some pros who have said that they always keep the lens cap off when there is any possibility of taking a shot. This idea has some merit but it almost eliminates getting that "shoot now or forget about it" shot.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back