What happened to the 40D?

They're coming to their senses about Canon. Just kidding... sort of...

In all honesty I have no idea.

The 40D is being retired from production to allow the 50D to take its place in sales and in camera market position - ergo the stopping of production of new units and the lack of units in shops as the supply dries up.

There is also rumours of a new camera in the similar market position being released around autumn, but its only rumour and nothing is really known

The 40d has seen its days. Replaced by the 50d it is now gone. I too have read that a new model is due to be released. I am surprised that Canon kept it around for as long as they did even though a newer model has been out for awhile.

It was surprising though the 50D I think was not meant to compete directly with it - at least at the start canon didn't bill it as an upgrade.

This has left the rumour mills open to the idea that the upgrade to the 40D was going to be a smaller than 15MP sensor and that the 50D would sit in the position of simply a higher MP DSLR camera. However I think a few things changed their mind - firstly there was the fact that many didn't see the MP increase from the 40D as a big reason to buy the 50D and with its higher release price and almost identical ISO performance (it is better but over the larger sensor its effective performance is about teh same as the 40D) meant that many were still going for the 40D - not what canon wanted.

They dropped the ball greatly I think in chasing after MP in this round and its cost them - so they cut production on the cheaper model to force sales (at least for now) on the more expensive 50D.

It's nothing more than product overlap. Canon cranks out a bazillion bodies and they sit in inventory until sold. When the 50D was introduced they likely had PLENTY of 40D's still in stock around the globe. They have to continue to market it if they want to unload it.

Now supplies are drying up, and the 50D is all that's left for a few months. Then the 60D will hit and the cycle begins all over again.

I remember reading right before the 50D came out that Canon had assured everyone that the 50D was not going to be a direct replacement for the 40D. That always seemed weird to me, but I guess it just feels to me like it hasn't been enough time for a new model to come out.

How come they seem to come out with x0D models every year, but they hardly ever update the pro line cameras?

and their pro models are AMAZING!! the 1d 3 is still king of speed for ANY pro model (nikon or canon). . .10fps, 51 AF points, and amazing high ISO performance. . .if it weren't for my investment in Nikon lenses/gear and the need for expensive canon lenses. . .

Most reactions

Back