What happens when you move? (semi-legal question)

rlemert

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a comment in another thread to the effect of "copyright law is Federal and applies in every (US) state; model release laws are state laws."

My question is "what happens if you move?"

This is NOT a request for legal advice since a) I don't have (or take - at least yet - photos that require a model release), and b) I'm not planning on moving any time soon. It's just a general "gee, I never thought about that before" question.

So let's say for example that I've got a drawer full of model releases that are perfectly legal in state 'A', but that contain a provision that is in direct contradiction to the laws of state 'B'. (I don't know what this might be, but since this is entirely hypothetical ....) Would I be "in the clear" because I was compliant in the original jurisdiction; would I be 'screwed' because I'm no longer 'compliant' in my new location; what?

Again, a 'generic' answer is fine for me since there's no pending issue involved - just old fashioned curiousity.

I say it's fine as the photographs were taken in state A

Either that, or use a totally universal release. Cover your ass globally.

Nothing changes except your address.

What counts is that the model releases you have on file are valid in the state the images were made.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back