What has been your experience with WordPress?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Carma, Oct 14, 2011.

1. mavrik

mavrik TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Melbourne wedding photographers at Best Day Photo

Which is mine? lol

That's a 2005 distinction on a 2011 question. Good themes can be both "sites" (meaning has static pages, etc.) or "blogs" (more like a journal) and the very best themes are and can be both.

2. e.rose

e.rose Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Except you can use wordpress to *build* your website, haha.

I know several people who have hosting space (through host gator, for example, which is a good one to use because it has a build in wordpress installer), then bought a wordpress template, or built one themselves, and have a full blown website that way. It doesn't look like a blog... it looks like a website. Of course they also *have* a blog as *part* of their site... but it's not just laid out like a normal wordpress Blog.

You can host galleries on there... Different pages... Whatever you want.

• Like Like x 1
  3. altitude604

altitude604 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wordpress is a great CMS as previously mentioned. It's really flexible and only limited by your own skills at CSS etc.

Highly recommend that if you decide to use it that you have it hosted somewhere other than the Wordpress Servers though.

I use it and love it.

4. dots

dots TPF Noob!

Slight update from over here.. just took a look at a WP control panel..seems to have undergone some improvements actually since just a few months ago. Faster to load and a bit cleaner interface. Seen the Retro Apple Theme? I like it !

5. vtf

vtf No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I decided to blog on facebook.

6. momo3boys

momo3boys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I actually helped me boss build his website on Wordpress.com. It looks professional and we already had a URL so we just moved it. He has a weekly newsletter and that is what we put on the "blog" page. I learned a little CSS code and was good to go. Once you figure out how to use the dashboard your fine. I'm actually using wix for the photography site though. It's free too and is more designed for art and photography, less text and pretty easy to use.

7. e.rose

e.rose Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Aw man, I dunno how you deal with that. I used that at first but the way they handle the photo stuff is *awful* and I finally got pissed off enough to move my site. :lol: I'm using a wordpress site now.

Maybe Wix just hated me... but uploading photos to it was a nightmare for me.

8. LaineAp

LaineAp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For me, it is nice, easy and simple.
    I use it from wordpress.com, not .org
    I find it as obligatory to have a blog, if you are an artist. Or art-businessman. Or woman.

Anyway, there are many templates that can make it look like a web site, even portfolio. You can change it to your own domain name and basically it can look pretty sweet, but suggest you to find someone to lead you through it all, even more fast and easy.

9. ghache

ghache No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Less text for your photography site might not be the best idea. you need text so the search engines can find it.

10. etnad0

etnad0 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Use Wordpress.org not .com. You have a ton more control. I use it on all of my websites now and yes wordpress can be a website or a blog. There really isn't much difference. Ask someone to tell you the difference between a website and a blog and I guarantee you that wordpress also does anything they claim about websites. It's easy to use. Plugins are easly installed and it ranks well in search engines.

11. photoseo

photoseo TPF Noob!

Any wordpress site can certainly be considered a website. You can get a wordpress blog ranked just the same as any other website. It's still a very easy option to use.

12. Rephargotohp

Rephargotohp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Not sure where you are getting the info that Not Many photographers are using wordpress.I know literally hundreds of Pro Photographers and a good portion of them use wordpress at least for their blog if not for their weblog. And yes actually there is a difference between a website,Blog and weblog and it had to do with page hierarchy. It'splitting hairs in case but there is a difference

I have wto Photography Weblogs both are Wordpress based. There is a learning curve...gee just like there is to just about anything.... But that can be minimized depending on the "Theme" you use. Some such as PhotoCrati, which is made for photographers. Makes modification very easy and is a very easy user interface. . If you don't use a well deisgned theme then you better know CSS or you will be lost.

But just Google Wordpress Photography Themes and you will be amazed at what is available in many different looks and configurations.

The install of WP can be confusing, but that is why most of the major hosting companies will do the install for you. And if you are really serious you do want your photography blog with your own domain and your own hosting.