What have I done now?

bytch_mynickname

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently bought this lot of stuff on ebay. I got it today and left it in the box for about 5 hours because it is cold out and the box was on a truck and didn't want to chance condensation. Anyhow, I get it out and am pleased with the condition of the items but...

I put the lenses on my Rebel Xt and the 70-300 gives me an error 99 and the 28-80 won't AF. I tried MF and it will take the picture but then it gives me an error 99. Will these lenses not work on my camera? I got the lot of stuff because I needed a film body for school and thought the lenses would be a nice bonus as I could use them with my XT, was I wrong? Thanks.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I recently bought this lot of stuff on ebay. I got it today and left it in the box for about 5 hours because it is cold out and the box was on a truck and didn't want to chance condensation. Anyhow, I get it out and am pleased with the condition of the items but...

I put the lenses on my Rebel Xt and the 70-300 gives me an error 99 and the 28-80 won't AF. I tried MF and it will take the picture but then it gives me an error 99. Will these lenses not work on my camera? I got the lot of stuff because I needed a film body for school and thought the lenses would be a nice bonus as I could use them with my XT, was I wrong? Thanks.

This was a problem when the first DRebel came out. The older Sigma lens (pre Digital rebel date) will not work on it and displayed the error 99. I recall reading that Sigma is able to repair the problem, That was reproted when people first discovered the problem after getting a DRebel (300D)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The lens will need rechipped.

The lens will need rechipped.

What all does that consist of and how much money? Will rechipping it solve just the error 99 code or will it solve the AF problem as well?
I am a little discouraged that I bought them and they won't work how I had planned.

After they are rechipped, will they still work with the film body?

......another reason why you don't buy off-brand lenses....

......another reason why you don't buy off-brand lenses....

From what I read, the Sigma got better reviews than the Canon for the 70-300mm. And not everyone can afford name brand lenses, not to mention, Sigma may not be a "name brand" as far as being a Canon but it is a well known, reputable company, not some off the wall name never heard of.

From what I read, the Sigma got better reviews than the Canon for the 70-300mm. And not everyone can afford name brand lenses, not to mention, Sigma may not be a "name brand" as far as being a Canon but it is a well known, reputable company, not some off the wall name never heard of.

I agree, My "consumer" Tamron 70-300 gives better results than the Canon in the same price range (I tried both before buying the Tamron, and I was surprised)
My "Pro" Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is equal in image quality to the Canon and cost much less. The build is great too.

Well I have searched a little bit on having the lenses rechipped and I have read that they will do it for free and read other places that say they won't. Any ideas what I should expect when I call them tomorrow?

What all does that consist of and how much money? Will rechipping it solve just the error 99 code or will it solve the AF problem as well?
I am a little discouraged that I bought them and they won't work how I had planned.

After they are rechipped, will they still work with the film body?

It's only shipping plus ten bucks (so they can ship it back to you). Give Sigma a call and ask them about it, they'll tell you where to mail it.

It's only shipping plus ten bucks (so they can ship it back to you). Give Sigma a call and ask them about it, they'll tell you where to mail it.
Any idea if that is per lens or per shipment? I apparently have two lenses that need done. Any idea how long it will take? Sorry but I am guessing you have been through it...

Sorry I missed this. You've checked so that's cool. Rechipping makes some form of amendment that allows your camera to read the inform,ation the lens is trying to provide. As you've found out it's cheap (sometimes free).

Best to call Sigma and ask about this.

ly the
Well I have searched a little bit on having the lenses rechipped and I have read that they will do it for free and read other places that say they won't. Any ideas what I should expect when I call them tomorrow?

Probably the best advise is call Sigma or write and have them re-chipped, even if it's $10 plus shipping. You can send them both in at once. Nice buy.

But if you hunt around the web you might find something about putting tape over the last three contacts, as you look at the back of the lens. I don't know if this works for Sigma lenses, but it's used to trick the AF on Canon lenses so it works with slower lenses where the AF doesn't respond. That's because the lens is designed to not use the AF beyond f/4

Total shot in the dark. Search the web for all the pages you can find on Sigma error 99 and ERR 99

You'll find things like this...

http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/

this is just a software problem. Canon slightly changed the protocol, and Sigma stumbled. But since it is just the chip, that is easily replaced by sigma.

Sounds like great customer service from Sigma, since they could charge a lot more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back