What high quality compact camera suggested?

maria maria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, i have been taking pictures over 25 years as traveling around the world. I have done a photography course, though I admit I do not know much about photography in the technical sense.
However my photographs are beautifully composed and people like them and me too.

I owned a professional Canon camera 10 years ago, when I did a trip in Asia taking many thousands of photos in a few weeks. I really hated having a big camera (i had a small one too), I was happy to get rid of it.

I love taking pictures and as I usually travel to interesting destinations I would like to get a high quality compact/small camera. What camera would you suggest and why?

I am not a professional photographer nor wannabe, but would love high quality pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Leica comes to mind if you have a few extra pesos.

Panasonic Lumix
Canon Powershots.
The best thing is go to a camera store and put hands on a few and find out what you like and fits the budget.

Not that I have used them but the Sony RX100 series get good reviews.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

A couple other options
  • Canon G series. These are high end P&S/compacts, with similar cost to a mid/high level consumer dSLR ($500-800).
  • Micro 4/3 cameras. Not as compact as a compact or P&S, but much smaller and lighter than a dSLR. When I went to m4/3 I had a 40+% bulk and weight reduction vs. my Nikon D7200 + 18-140. And I could get even more, by being more selective. The advantage over a P&S is you can change lenses, IF you want to.
I've heard good things about the Sony and Fuji compacts, but know nothing about them.

I use the Sony RX100iii & iv for travel. Takes great video too.

Sony RX 100 series, either new or prior-generation.

Last edited:
You can see some of my photos here voyageur.carrd.co

The all-metal Fuji X100f and Ricoh GR III are tough to beat.I have the earlier 16 mp X100T and GR II models and love both for travel and street shooting. Superb image quality.

These are fixed 35mm and 28mm equivalent focal length lenses respectively on APS-C sensors. The Fuji has a unique optical rangefinder viewfinder switchable to an EVF; the Ricoh GR uses the LCD as viewfinder.

Last edited:
I have a Fuji xf10 that I really like that is very compact and great for travel. It’s a fixed lens 18mm but does have 2 internal “zoom” focal options.

Hi, i have been taking pictures over 25 years as traveling around the world. I have done a photography course, though I admit I do not know much about photography in the technical sense.
However my photographs are beautifully composed and people like them and me too.

I owned a professional Canon camera 10 years ago, when I did a trip in Asia taking many thousands of photos in a few weeks. I really hated having a big camera (i had a small one too), I was happy to get rid of it.

I love taking pictures and as I usually travel to interesting destinations I would like to get a high quality compact/small camera. What camera would you suggest and why?

I am not a professional photographer nor wannabe, but would love high quality pictures.

Thanks in advance.

After studying all kinds of cameras for a long time and having tried several cameras in real life, after endlessly comparing all kinds of brands and models on the internet, my wife and I are going to buy 2 Canon cameras next week. For my wife the Canon G3X, for me the Canon G7X markII. I think the Canon G3X will probably be the most suitable for you with a nice zoom range and perfect dimensions.
(I've chosen the Canon G7X mark II as my 'extra' P&S alongside my Fuji cameras and as a replacement of my 11 year old Canon G9)

Why buy a Canon G3X camera, because it's not the cheapest one you can get? At first we preferred Lumix (Panasonic) and I'd the idea for myself to buy a Leica D-Lux7 (made by Panasonic), but although they use 'made by Leica' lenses, the quality of these lenses seem to be below level and -honestly- as a big Leica fan this really disappointed me. Sony is undeniably good equipment, but it's extremely expensive and doesn't really offer much more quality and features than Canon when I look at usability, functionality and lens quality. Although I use Fuji cameras myself, I think Fuji, like Nikon, is really inadequate when we talk P&S.

It's an intensive search and weighing things up, if you really want to make the best decision, it took us about 4 months. Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions, I had Canon cameras, both professional and compact. I was happy to get rid of them..

I would look at detailed, online reviews of whatever models you are contemplating. Most good reviews are written after a pretty thorough testing in use. My experience has been that sometimes a camera that looks good on paper really is not that good Of a shooter, and sometimes a camera that might not look all that impressive on paper in the stat sheet is actually a pretty darn good camera in the real world.

A lot of times people make a Camera purchase decisions based almost exclusively on either Brand, or by statistics, and over the past 25 years is pretty common for many cameras to have very similar statistics.

Being a bit older and more used to the dial metaphor, I have found that the canon G 15 is a really neat camera, as are some of the Fuji X series models.

Last edited:
You ask about a high-quality compact camera. But that does not really give us the full story behind your question. Would you be happy with a single lens length? Or do you want a zoom lens? What is your budget? $500, or maybe $699, or $799?

Sony RX-100 will be my choice if you do not need long telephoto.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back