What I need to know to travel with camera and lens on Airplane.

bunny99123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Maybe in the wrong forum. I am taking my first airplane trip to WA in a few weeks, and I have no idea how to travel with my camera and lens.

I do know to carry them on the airplane. I am taking the body, flash, 3 lens and reflectors. A friend will have other accessories when I arrive.

What happens when I check in at the airport?

Do I take the battery out?

Can you help me out:)

Thank you

Just pack them like you are going to use them in your bag you carry on, preferably a padded camera bag. Lenses on cameras, batteries in place, spare lenses with caps. There is no trick to travelling with photo gear.

Have fun when you get here to the rainy state, maybe you will be lucky and the sunshine will pop out. If not the light from cloud cover is a great softbox and brings out color saturation nicely.

You're allowed 1 carry-on and 1 "personal item". I always have my regular bag and my camera back-pack. You'll get right through the check points no problem.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be a problem, people fly with cameras all the time.

As mentioned, you are usually allowed one carry on and one personal item. So make one of them a camera bag and you should be good to go. But to give a thought to the weight. I know that if I fully load up some of my larger camera bags, they get pretty heavy...and the 'posted' weight limits for air travel are not very high...and since they get to charge you for overweight bags, they are more than happy to stick it to you.

That being said, I have yet to have my carry-on bag weighed. So you may or may not get away with it...but I wouldn't push your luck too far.

A good tip is to wear a jacket or vest with large pockets. That way, if your bag is overweight, you can shift some of your gear to your pockets (at least until the grumpy security officer is out of sight). ;)

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have a camera bag, but going to buy a backpack one. The pocket idea is a good tip. I hear it is beautiful and rains a lot. Happy to be going, but not to trilled to fly.

How big are the reflectors?

I've traveled countless times with two bodies, five lenses, a laptop and assorted other crap, and the only time I've had an issue is when I was on a puddle-jumper. The bag wouldn't fit in the overhead, and I had to chant and stir chicken bones, blood and spit while chanting in Aramaic to get it to fit under the seat.

I would think that, unless you can fold those reflectors down nice and small, it might be better to pack them in your luggage or leave them behind...

The biggest thing is to NEVER check it. The airlines take no responsibility for your electronics which pretty much gives every dishonest employee free reign on your equipment. Just make sure its a carry on and within the size and weight restrictions. Also, try to carry a purse or laptop bag with some extra room. That way if they say "you are a little heavy, you have to check that" you can just swap a lens or two into your allowable personal item and shave some weight. Or if your bag won't fit in the overhead, remove a couple lenses and then mash the bag into the overhead.

Another trick is to make sure you are ensured. This won't fix your ruined photo trip if all of your gear is broken or stolen, but it will cover your gear atleast.

There is a trick for checking bags that I once read, but I am not sure if it actually works. It involves a starter pistol (that fires blanks but still classifies as a weapon ). When you declare a weapon at the airport, they check the bag, and the weapon and then you place YOUR lock on the bag that only YOU have the key to, and you check the bag. This keeps the weapon from being tampered with. It could just be a wives tale and sounds like a whole lot of work. So I wouldn't recommend it.

Um, a couple of things.

First, I've flown literally hundreds of times with my gear in my carry-on, and have never had it weighed, or even placed inside that little wire box at the gate (the one which indicates how big a carry-on can be). I would not be at all concerned with it being weighed.

As for claiming a weapon, sure, you can do that, but it's not something to be done lightly. Be prepared to be asked "Why do you have a starter's pistol?". And, I can assure you, "It's my right" will not suffice. Yes, it's your right to own one, but it's not their obligation to allow you to put in on an airplane. Even with a satisfactory answer, give yourself at least another hour at the airport, and be prepared to fill out a mountain of paperwork.

That said, out of the hundreds of flights I've taken with my gear, I've had to check it exactly never...

If you don't have a specific reason to deal with weapon policies, don't even go there. Nothing helpful will come out of it.

I won't be carrying a weapon. Thank you, because I know what to expect:)

Most reactions

Back