What if Photoshop doesn't exist?

shortpballer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dossantoslemone.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We have created an advertising portfolio based upon 100 percent reality. Please take a look at our behance page to read more about what we do and our vision.
I have included a photo here as a teaser to what we are doing.
If you like the work, please click the appreciate button at the bottom of the page. And if you are on behance please follow us to keep updated.

What if Photoshop doesn't exist? Part 1 on the Behance Network

sunglasses.jpg

Nice shots/

But a small nit.

'What if Photoshop doesn't exist' is syntactically wrong I think.
I think it should be 'What if Photoshop™ didn't exist?'

Off to buy film and play in a darkroom for me then.....

...based on 100% reality? eh, not really. even less so if you used a digital camera. Just because you did not use a program like Photoshop, doesn't mean that adjustments weren't made in camera, like WB and ISO. The pictures were good, don't get me wrong, but saying "what if Photoshop didn't exist" and taking pictures with a new digital camera is like saying "what if cars didn't exist" and driving a motorcycle.

why do people act like using editing programs is cheating or something? using Photoshop now in the digital age isn't all that different than film people making adjustments in the darkroom.Granted, it was a different skill set, but Photoshop is just the new editing tool and like any other tool, requires a certain amount of skill and practice to be proficient with it. Riding a horse requires more skill and finesse than driving a car, (i mean English, not that easy western saddle stuff, and a snaffle bit, not straight bar.) but nobody is going to praise me for being "retro" or "classic" for riding a horse to work. When I got my emergency appendectomy, I sure didn't criticize the doctor for using every new and modern tool at his disposal to get the job done. Sorry doctor, you took the easy way out using that laser and MRI scanner...you should have shown real skill and done it the old fashioned way.

When I started my career in Advertising photography there was no photoshop. Then you had to be good at shooting film. Today it is a cakewalk.

Whether you shoot film or digital, you still need good composition and lighting from the beginning to create a great image.

Post production doesn't make an image. The photographer uses it as one of their mediums to create the final image, which is all that matters anyway. How you got to that image is irrelevant.

My point exactly. Photographers have lost site of what makes a good photo. I have no problem with photoshop, and I still use it today. However, as I walk down the streets of Paris, I see advertisements every day that are OVER photoshopped, to the point that they don't even demonstrate the product in its reality.

When I started my career in Advertising photography there was no photoshop. Then you had to be good at shooting film. Today it is a cakewalk.

Whether you shoot film or digital, you still need good composition and lighting from the beginning to create a great image.

Post production doesn't make an image. The photographer uses it as one of their mediums to create the final image, which is all that matters anyway. How you got to that image is irrelevant.

romanticizing SOOC is something people started doing once film started dying. In reality, the inflexibility of slide film was seen as a huge drawback, not a benefit.

My point exactly. Photographers have lost site of what makes a good photo. I have no problem with photoshop, and I still use it today. However, as I walk down the streets of Paris, I see advertisements every day that are OVER photoshopped, to the point that they don't even demonstrate the product in its reality.

Good photographers haven't lost sight of what makes a good photograph. Society has learned to accept mediocre as being good.

Idk why so many people think they're cooler or better than anyone because they don't use PS. That's so dumb.

It's makes about as much sense to advocate for riding a horse while your car sits in the garage.

Photoshop and other image editors are nothing more than a tool in a skilled photographer's toolbox. Anyone evangelizing "no post processing" or bragging about it is either ignorant or lazy.

... as far as I can tell what this proves is that if you don't use photoshop, all your advertising will look like it came from 1987...

... as far as I can tell what this proves is that if you don't use photoshop, all your advertising will look like it came from 1987...

ROTFLMAO!

Good photographers haven't lost sight of what makes a good photograph. Society has learned to accept mediocre as being good.

Yep... too many 6 day wonder MWACs! They have seriously lowered the scale of what is acceptable. And most of them use prints SOOC, because they can't afford photoshop, or it is "too complicated" for them to bother learning...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back