What if someone have your photos in a facebook website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I see some of my photos posted on someone's else facebook website with out crediting me. Would you say something about it or forget about it?

I been through that. report it to facebook file a complaint.

1) Inform the person that they are in breach of copyright - many people have no idea copyright exists or what its all about. Inform them and then either request that they credit you (with a link to your website as well) or request them to be taken down.

2) If you don't get a reply or they refuse to comply then present your evidence and report the issue to Facebook.

3) If Facebook refuses to take action you can request a DMCA (or something like that) take-down order (Google it for more info); and they normally work pretty well.

Note do give the people time to respond - at the very least a day if not more; individuals might not look at their facebook on an hourly basis; whilst moderation on huge sites can take time to take effect.

1) .......... - 90% of people have no idea copyright exists and another 9.9% don't think it applies to them.............

FIFY.

paying client? What photo?

paying client? What photo?

Nope, it's complicated. I volunteer as a photographer at the little art school. One staff member posted my photos without my name on it on the unofficial webpage in Facebook. She tries to promote the art school, but I don't know she has the permission to do that.

A friend of mine is a fashion designer, and her friend copied one of my images from flickr, and posted on her Facebook. It is the image of this fashion designer with a model.

Who or why is not relevant.

It's infringement.

Nope, it's complicated. I volunteer as a photographer at the little art school. One staff member posted my photos without my name on it on the unofficial webpage in Facebook. She tries to promote the art school, but I don't know she has the permission to do that.

Send the head of the school a email saying that the school used your image on their facebook page and if not give you credit. Don't say anything about it being their unofficial facebook page.

Just went through a Facebook ordeal myself. I am doing a favor for a friend and photographing her son's wedding in December. I was up to their house one day, and they asked me about doing a quick Impromptu engagement session. I agreed, and the mother of the groom took the photo's, and of course put them on her Facebook. She did give me credit for the images, as she loves the work I do, and mentions me all the time to people. However the bride to be shared them on her Facebook page, and now she and her friends are editing them themselves, and posting them saying that "it looks better like this". I politely private messaged the bride asking them to not do this, and the Mother of the groom then says to me "You Photographers need to get over yourselves". Then she goes on to inform me that Photographers copyright was developed as a "get rich quick" scheme by photographers who can't cut it. She then says, "My husband goes on the internet and downloads photo's all the time that he want's, and if they have a watermark he just removes it so he can use it for himself".

Fortunately the bride understands where I'm coming from, and the editing of my photo's has stopped. I am not making a living off my photography, and as such I don't care if people share the photo's around Facebook so long as I get some credit. However the mother of the groom who are actually my "friends" has annoyed me to no end, and I really don't think that I'll be doing any further work for them after this wedding.

..... She then says, "My husband goes on the internet and downloads photo's all the time that he want's, and if they have a watermark he just removes it so he can use it for himself".........

Did you ask her if her husband likes to work for free?

..... She then says, "My husband goes on the internet and downloads photo's all the time that he want's, and if they have a watermark he just removes it so he can use it for himself".........

Did you ask her if her husband likes to work for free?

I don't expect much out of them as they both sit on their duffs at home, and collect off the system. Her husband is on disability for supposedly several psychological disorders, and she keeps getting grants from the state to take online courses so she doesn't have to go to work.

I don't expect much out of them as they both sit on their duffs at home, and collect off the system. Her husband is on disability for supposedly several psychological disorders, and she keeps getting grants from the state to take online courses so she doesn't have to go to work.

Well, that certainly explains their sense of entitlement.

Just went through a Facebook ordeal myself. I am doing a favor for a friend and photographing her son's wedding in December. I was up to their house one day, and they asked me about doing a quick Impromptu engagement session. I agreed, and the mother of the groom took the photo's, and of course put them on her Facebook. She did give me credit for the images, as she loves the work I do, and mentions me all the time to people. However the bride to be shared them on her Facebook page, and now she and her friends are editing them themselves, and posting them saying that "it looks better like this". I politely private messaged the bride asking them to not do this, and the Mother of the groom then says to me "You Photographers need to get over yourselves". Then she goes on to inform me that Photographers copyright was developed as a "get rich quick" scheme by photographers who can't cut it. She then says, "My husband goes on the internet and downloads photo's all the time that he want's, and if they have a watermark he just removes it so he can use it for himself".

Fortunately the bride understands where I'm coming from, and the editing of my photo's has stopped. I am not making a living off my photography, and as such I don't care if people share the photo's around Facebook so long as I get some credit. However the mother of the groom who are actually my "friends" has annoyed me to no end, and I really don't think that I'll be doing any further work for them after this wedding.

If it were me I might not even be willing to shoot the wedding in December after they did that.

I see some of my photos posted on someone's else facebook website with out crediting me. Would you say something about it or forget about it?
Unless you are charging for your images ... I don't see how you are harmed (legally). I understand that many photogs want proper credit, (the ol' watermark or no watermark debate) ... did you watermark these images?

This 'doing a favor' seems to cause more problems... It's one thing to do something for immediate family or a best friend etc. who you wouldn't think twice about helping whatever it was. But the friend of a friend stuff never seems to work out.

Tecboy even if the little art gallery is a nonprofit and you choose to volunteer to take photos for them, talk to them about how they'll use your photos and be selective what you give them. Once you give photos to someone they're gone and there's probably no getting them back or controlling where they end up.

The problem here is that the person who took your photos I guess got them off your Flickr page (thru the friend who's the designer?). Once you put them on sites like Flickr and Facebook, that puts them under the Terms & Conditions of that website (which most likely you agreed to when you signed up to use the site). You better check your settings on Flickr.

Usually there would be photo credit in a newspaper or magazine etc. but it depends on the publication. Otherwise, I don't know that sites necessarily use photo credits. So you'd need to get something in writing from the little art gallery about usage if you want your name used anytime they use your photos, or think about giving them watermarked copies (not in the corner that can be cropped off but done in a subtle way).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back