Photos OK to edit
So I'm new. Really new. But I think I am going to get this equipment:

Canon Digital Rebel XT
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
Canon 430 EX Speedlite flash
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Bag Extra battery haze filter

Would do you guys think?

I don't know alot about everything you've posted, but I'd be happy whith that equipment. From what I've heard, that 50mm lense is a really good value.;)

Compare the image quality of the 75-300 to the Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 LD, When I did I bought the Tamron instead of the Canon. The Tamron retails for about $169.
I just recently replaced it with a Canon 70-200 L f/2.8 USM
Also add a circular polarizer for the lens. IF cost is an issue you can get the filter for your largest diameter lens and a step up ring to use it on the other lens. You just never want to use a smaller filter on a larger diameter lens.
Enjoy the gear. Be perpared, this is an addictive,expensive hobby.:lol: Try to stay within you buget.

So I'm new. Really new. But I think I am going to get this equipment:

Canon Digital Rebel XT
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
Canon 430 EX Speedlite flash
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Bag Extra battery haze filter

Would do you guys think?

Looks like a good list but you will find yourself lacking a wide-angle lens. Everything on your list is long (even the 50 is a tele on digital) so you really need to look into at least the "kit lens" that comes with the camera.

Compare the image quality of the 75-300 to the Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 LD, When I did I bought the Tamron instead of the Canon. The Tamron retails for about $169.
I just recently replaced it with a Canon 70-200 L f/2.8 USM
Also add a circular polarizer for the lens. IF cost is an issue you can get the filter for your largest diameter lens and a step up ring to use it on the other lens. You just never want to use a smaller filter on a larger diameter lens.
Enjoy the gear. Be perpared, this is an addictive,expensive hobby.:lol: Try to stay within you buget.

Great, you can sell me your Tamron then!

Really? I thought that the 50mm would be wide? But ya budget is an issue. This stuff is really damn expensive!!!
Oh and do you guys think it might be better to get film? I want dig to put on my comp but what about film?
I also found these "kit" type of things with Nikon N80 35mm SLR Camera + Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Autofocus Lens + Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF Lens + Nikon SLR System Case - Gadget Bag
or
Nikon N75 35mm SLR Camera + Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Autofocus Lens + Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF Lens + Nikon SLR System Case - Gadget Bag how are those?

Oh and do you guys think it might be better to get film? I want dig to put on my comp but what about film?

I just bought a DSLR. I had been shooting film for years and preferring the look. Unfortunately, that stopped a few years ago. If you can process and print your own film, it's worth it, but ANYWHERE you go to get prints will scan your film and output with light onto photographic paper. The scans they do aren't that high res and if you scan your prints, you will get scanlines from the print. That is what forced me to digital.

If you can find someplace to do optical printing for you, film would be fine, but optical printing is dying quickly.
dug

I'd steer clear of the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6. I had one and was really disappointed with the glass. It wasn't the least bit sharp. I'd go with the Ef 100-300mm. It's a heavier duty model with the ring USM and much better image quality.

I don't have any experience with the tamron people are mentioning but it has to be better than the 75-300mm.

Really? I thought that the 50mm would be wide? But ya budget is an issue. This stuff is really damn expensive!!!
I also found these "kit" type of things with Nikon N80 35mm SLR Camera + Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Autofocus Lens + Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF Lens + Nikon SLR System Case - Gadget Bag
or Nikon N75 35mm SLR Camera + Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Autofocus Lens + Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF Lens + Nikon SLR System Case - Gadget Bag how are those?
Nope 50 is the "normal" focal length for 35mm for smaller sensor digital cameras it is actually a little bit of telephoto. The first focal length that would be the least bit wide for a digital sensor is I think like 24mm. This is the reason most "kit" lenses start a 18mm. I am not sure where you are considering making this purchase but most places have a decent wide to tele lens mated with a camera this would be a good lens to get for just a basic shooting lens. One last thing, I would not take this post as a suggestion that you stay away fro the 50 you are considering it is an excellent lens and would serve you well.

I'd steer clear of the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6. I had one and was really disappointed with the glass. It wasn't the least bit sharp. I'd go with the Ef 100-300mm. It's a heavier duty model with the ring USM and much better image quality.

I don't have any experience with the tamron people are mentioning but it has to be better than the 75-300mm.

I have the Canon 75-300 and I don't really like it either. I'm new and my eye probably isn't attuned to lens quality as it could be so take it for what its worth.

The 50mm f/1.8 however is great, while the construction is iffy, its cheap (not quality) and I use it a ton. If for whatever reason it decides to take a dump or I drop it. I wouldn't lose any sleep seeing as it is the cheapest lens Canon makes.

You could probably find a used kit lens from someone here on the forums for pretty cheap. That would be what I would do if I were you and then upgrade to something better as money came your way. :thumbup:

how is the Cosina 19-35mm
oh and can anyone tell me difference between Photoshop and Elements. Like what can do what.

Great, you can sell me your Tamron then!
Sorry, you're too late.
Actually I am keeping it, as I am my old kit lens.
If something happenes to any of my current lenses, at least I will have something to fall back on. These lense are cheap enough that it makes more sense to keep them instead of selling them for the small amount each is worth. I still have AE-1 and lenses, Now that was a great camera!

Most reactions

Back