What is a copyright card?

lance70

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, my wife and I bought photoshop about 3 months ago. We loaded a few pictures and did some basic stuff with contrast and color and then uploaded them to our Walgreens photo account. The next day we go in to pick these up and they are asking for a copyright card? Any idea what this is? We took the pictures, they are just a few pictures from our vacation, I don't know if I have something set in photoshop that's putting extra information on the picture telling them to ask for this or what's going on. The person who printed the pictures wasn't there so the lady behind the counter really didn't know, she was just reading that comment about a copyright card off the package, thanks.

My guess is that they are assuming the photos are 'professional' and they are worried about breaching the copyright by printing them. When I sell digital images to my clients, I include a written copyright release.

On one hand, it's good that these places are not blindly printing anything they get. On the other hand, it's a PITA when the won't print YOUR photos.

My advice: Use a better lab.

My guess is that they are assuming the photos are 'professional' and they are worried about breaching the copyright by printing them. When I sell digital images to my clients, I include a written copyright release.

On one hand, it's good that these places are not blindly printing anything they get. On the other hand, it's a PITA when the won't print YOUR photos.

My advice: Use a better lab.

ahhh okay, that makes sense, thank you very much :)

Here's a tip, most cameras (through the software which is put on your computer) will let you edit the profile of the camera to let you attach the name of the photographer into the EXIF for every photo as the camera takes it. It would be worth doing this - then you name is printed on the photo when the printers get it.

If it becomes a more major pain you can work around it with a simple website (heck just a flickr account can work) and a little cheap business card with your name and website on it to show the printers.

Care must be taken to use the proper terms for legal documents. Calling a Use License (or Print Release), a Copyright Release could easily see you signing away your copyright ownership if you're not very careful.

Here's a tip, most cameras (through the software which is put on your computer) will let you edit the profile of the camera to let you attach the name of the photographer into the EXIF for every photo as the camera takes it. It would be worth doing this - then you name is printed on the photo when the printers get it.

If it becomes a more major pain you can work around it with a simple website (heck just a flickr account can work) and a little cheap business card with your name and website on it to show the printers.

That would be great, I have the D90, not sure it has this option or not, but I will look into it, thanks a lot!

That doesn't matter, I am 100% a Nikon user, but if I got my hands on any file from my friend and his 5DmkII, I can use 3rd party EXIF editors to change anyone's EXIF to anything that I want.

Security is a facade easily manipulated. :)

That doesn't matter, I am 100% a Nikon user, but if I got my hands on any file from my friend and his 5DmkII, I can use 3rd party EXIF editors to change anyone's EXIF to anything that I want.

Security is a facade easily manipulated. :)

100% security = 0% usability, 100% usability = 0% security. There's always give and take. Putting your name in EXIF is better than not putting your name in EXIF. It could, at the very least, prevent dumb thieves from taking your photos, and it could have prevented the problem listed by the OP anyway.

That would be great, I have the D90, not sure it has this option or not, but I will look into it, thanks a lot!
Page 205 in your users manual (Image Comment).

Page 205 in your users manual (Image Comment).

Thanks, I just set mine up that way :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back