WHAT is a "facebook photographer"??

What is it? Whats your definition?

I think Derrel's post #23 sums it up nicely. You ever see the website "youarenotaphotographer.com"? Those are examples of Facebook photographers. Making full use of social networking is a good thing and the tried and trued pro's are merely showcasing their work through another outlet. This is not the same as the housewife who charges $50, gives 50 edited images from Picnik and has a catchy cliche name like "hearts and hugs photography". Because, really, it's secondary income to her and keeps her busy.

Like other's, I know of friends who got a Rebel for Christmas and opened up shop on Facebook. I recently connected with an old friend and we got to talking about hobbies and I told her about my love for photography and she tells me how she shoots weddings. You know how you just know in your gut that you're about to get Facebook pictures? Yep. She sent me her Picassa link and I just bit my tongue and said, "Nice". When she wanted a dead honest critique of an out of focus pair of wedding heels, I told her so and she replied that it was on purpose and explained to me what shallow depth of field was. Apparently a slow shutter speed and shakey hands are how you achieve it. Who knew? :)

My real close friend's wife is wanting to go back to work and is deciding to become a photographer after Christmas when he buys her a camera. I've been trying to delicately tell her that it's not that easy. I handed her my D700 and told her to take my picture. She asked where the auto button was. But...she has 500 friends on Facebook who will love to have her take photos for them.

In the end though, it doesn't bother me. It used to a year ago but then I realized that I'm not in the same target area, I'm not trying to make money and I have no desire to photograph children (love 'em, just don't want to photograph them).

P.S. Sabrina's work has improved greatly. Great job! :thumbup:

Shaky hands and slow shutter speed?!! Really! LOL!!

I seem to notice a natural migration of FB photographers, they're bestbuy photographers 1st? If I recall a few have posted up on here about bestbuy allows credit, zero down, buy now pay later, etc?

1) purchase entry level DSLR, kit lens or maybe a prime, flash from the bestbuy store (bestbuy photographer)
2) create FB page (full FB photographer)
3) charge people

LOL yeah I see that a LOT myself. I went in a different order though. Hubby purchased me a DSLR from Newegg because he thought I had potential and wanted to help me enjoy photography. I took tons...and I mean tons of pictures. In the first year I had easily 12000 "good" pictures. Ironically, some of the best pictures I have taken since getting a DSLR were from the first day I had the camera...weird! After about a year of owning it, someone asked me to photograph their wedding. I told them I hadn't done it before, and didn't have any experience or special equipment. They were missionaries and weren't looking for anything fancy, so I accepted the challenge. I bought a 430EXII flash (from Newegg LOL) and I was slightly disappointed with the job I did, but they were blown away. I didn't like the level of noise as the whole thing was a very low lit event. At that time, I didn't have any post-processing methods so what they got was what came straight from the camera. Since then, I've done about 5 other weddings and no one has been disappointed but I stay far away from them and only do them when asked. I give them a very low price (when they insist on paying me) and let it go at that. Experience is worth more than I could ever pay and to shadow someone around here is 100 an hour. I have done several senior shoots, a few family shoots, portrait shoots, etc all on request and asking small amounts of money but only when they insist. My clients have been the ones who insisted on me opening a FB page, so I finally took the plunge and did it. I still feel weird about having my pictures up there, but comparing them to your standard "FB photographer" they're not all that bad LOL

My "friend" on the other hand...I think every one of her pictures could be entered into 'youarenotaphotographer.com' and make front page. (insert rolling eyes)

And I'm not THAT picky about photography because, well, I don't like to judge or hurt anyone's feelings. But hers is just dead obvious. Oh well, it's not a competition since she's a thousand miles away :D

MT, I'm sure your pictures are good...and you will only get better! Don't dumb yourself down so much...one thing about photography that I am just starting to learn is that I need to have cautious confidence. If I appear to not be confident in what I'm doing, then that will come across in my photos and in my photo shoots. So I need to believe that either I am good enough to do what I'm being asked to do OR I can learn to be good enough.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can shut people up though? Seriously...I have heard this from a lot of people, some who I don't even know..."You totally should advertise. You are so talented! Your pictures are amazing...why don't you advertise and get some business?" So I tell them "Because I don't have the experience and equipment necessary to live up to the standard most people have for photos. I am not a professional. I haven't been to college. I don't know enough. My pictures are good, but they are not professional." "Oh, but they are...you do so much better than most photographers I've seen...I'm sure you wouldn't disappoint them!"

I know I can't advertise right now, I really have no right to advertise myself since there's no way I'm going to get pics that are as good as a professionals! Maybe one day, after lots of experience and training...but not now!

I just joined so I haven't seen Sabrina's journey...can you point me in the right direction so I can see it? Sounds wonderful! Sorry, I know I seem a little over zealous...it's just so much fun to be talking with like-minded people!

Lol! Thanks! I'll definitely do that. Have plenty of time on my hands :D Popcorn always tastes good...especially mixed with fudge ;)

Hubby purchased me a DSLR from Newegg because he thought I had potential and wanted to help me enjoy photography. I took tons...and I mean tons of pictures. In the first year I had easily 12000 "good" pictures.

No, you probably didn't.

A 'facebook photographer' is right up there with a 'mom with a camera'. They buy, or someone gets them a camera of some sort, they find pushing the button gets them an image someone else might want, so they start posting their 'work' on facebook so all can see and contact them for more 'work'.

It's a logic premise: All awful-to-mediocre photographers with basic DSLRs who think they can shoot weddings, etc ARE Facebook photographers, but NOT ALL Facebook photographers are awful-to-mediocre photographers...."

They really are NOT competition to the pros, in my opinion, because the kind of people who LOVE these FB photographers' work and use them for their own portraits, are not usually the kind of people who would spend the money that is required to get real quality.
I have been doing photography for many, many years. I have gotten tons of encouragement from others about how wonderful my photos are; I've won photo contests; I've sold some of my photography. Now, I've finally got my DSLR so I'm ready to get my FB page up and shoot weddings and other timeless events for people. NOT.

There is a difference between popularity and professionalism. I think of it as similar to movies. There are movies that win critical acclaim--they are well done, brilliant in all the technical things that make good movies. They may, or may not, be well-received by the public. Then there are movies that the public LOVES...Dumb and Dumber comes to mind... Point is, you don't always have to be Professional to be Popular.

I've been doing photography for 30+ years; I've even used a film SLR for most of those years. And now I have a DSLR with a kit lens. WooHoo. The ONLY things that separate me from being a Facebook Photographer: one, I'm better than they are. Two--and this is a critical difference--I know and accept the limitations of my skill and equipment.

I've done ONE photo shoot for a family, at the request of my niece, who would not have paid for a professional shoot. I am about to do another, for a friend, and I am also about to help shoot portraits for our church directory (I have tried and tried to convince our pastor it's a BAD idea for us to do this ourselves, with three different amateur photographers, three different cameras...). But I would NOT even consider making money from it without, at the very least, better equipment. And I would not shoot a wedding or any other once-in-a-lifetime event no matter how much someone begged or offered to pay me, because I do NOT have that skill set.

Hubby purchased me a DSLR from Newegg because he thought I had potential and wanted to help me enjoy photography. I took tons...and I mean tons of pictures. In the first year I had easily 12000 "good" pictures.

No, you probably didn't.

A 'facebook photographer' is right up there with a 'mom with a camera'. They buy, or someone gets them a camera of some sort, they find pushing the button gets them an image someone else might want, so they start posting their 'work' on facebook so all can see and contact them for more 'work'.

Hence the quotes around the word "good". Most of the photos I took in that first year are gone now as I can see it was a rather pathetic excuse for photography :D

Facebook is just another free tool that can be usefull, why not?

I have some really talented and well known photographer who use facebook as another marketing tool.

I can say i get 40-50% of my familly/portrait business off facebook

1. Your clients post thier web version of the pictures you gave them
2. You are tagged on your clients pictures.
3. potential clients see the shots, they like it and they add you, ask for price and book session.

IMO if your not taking advantage of this tool, were you can reach 1/2 of the ****in planet, im sorry you are retarded. okbyethx derrel.

Client still need to choose thier photographer based on thier work and not the wonderfull 4000$ webpage
a webmaster made for them.

I can say i get 40-50% of my familly/portrait business off facebook

That's pretty significant. I wish I had numbers on our side but I do believe how complimentary facebook is. It's such an interactive tool with all the tagging and reminders with clients' networks it does boost activity on our site. It is a referral business and extended networks consisted of friends and family of existing clients may fall under the same targeted market - an oppurtunity that can't be ignored.

I believe in facebook's compliments, but I do agree that a photographer will be limited if facebook is used as their main site. =)

Facebook is just another free tool that can be usefull, why not?I have some really talented and well known photographer who use facebook as another marketing tool.I can say i get 40-50% of my familly/portrait business off facebook1. Your clients post thier web version of the pictures you gave them2. You are tagged on your clients pictures.3. potential clients see the shots, they like it and they add you, ask for price and book session.IMO if your not taking advantage of this tool, were you can reach 1/2 of the ****in planet, im sorry you are retarded. okbyethx derrel.Client still need to choose thier photographer based on thier work and not the wonderfull 4000$ webpage a webmaster made for them.
You can be a competent photographer and use Facebook as a marketing component. However, we are discussing the phenomenon known as the 'facebook photographer', along the lines of the 'mom with camera' - the newly minted 'pro' with some sort of new camera they were gifted who think spreading the word that the can push a shutter release qualifies them to satisfy paying customers.

Hmmm so if that's what a Facebook Photographer is then what is a Googlephotographer?

Most reactions

Back