What is a good affordable SLR for a beginner

Either way, any film or digital SLR body will let you capture a fast moving object; it's the lens that counts there.

There are a huge number of decent 35mm rigs available. Any body which operates in manual mode and which can be used w/o batteries, coupled with a standard 50mm lens, an exposure meter and a tripod is fine as a starter. As time passes, you can pick up a wide angle (24, 28 or 35mm) and a telephoto (90, 105 or 135mm) without inflicting fatal wounds to your wallet.

a digital prefbaly a CANON as i have a CANON USM 80-200 lens

cheers

There are literally dozens of Canon SLR-style cameras to choose from. If you're going digital, you can pick up the Digital Rebel Xti (400D) for a reasonable price, or you can also look for the Rebel Xt (350D) which should be a bargain, since a lot of people are dumping them in favor of the Xti. As for film, I'd recommend staying away from the Rebel line. They get the job done, but some of the parts aren't as high quality as I'd like. The battery door, for instance, is held on by a simple bendable plastic link. This will fatigue and break after a short period of time. Look for something in the EOS ELAN line. You'll be much happier. The current price for a near-mint ELAN IIE on eBay is around $70. It's a great camera. I used one for about 3 years without a single issue, and took tons of great photos with it.

If you are buying digital, buy from a reputable dealer like Adorama, or B&H. The entry level models are the most affordable, those being the Rebel XT, and Rebel XTI. If you are planning to shoot film, you'll save a lot of up front cost. You can browse tons of used Canon film SLRs and lenses at www.keh.com.

Most reactions

Back