What is a thread? What do I need to know? What should I be look for?

hernandez29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My name is Enrique Hernandez and I just sign in to see what the PhotoForum is all about. I had been into still photography since since I was a teenager. I started out using a twin lens camera and later I starting processing my own film. I taught myself photography by reading about photography and trial and error. It was my hobby all through my high school day and into college. Many years later, when I studied to become a register nurse. While working as a RN, I put put my camera aside to concentrate on being a nurse. Now that I retired, I am trying to get back to my old hobby of photography and start shootings again. Thanks. Enrique

Hi - and welcome back to photography.

Welcome to the forum & back to photography!

As to 'what is a thread?' as far as Forums go it's a subject of conversation like the one you've just started.
You're free to search old threads to find information/topics that have been discussed before, adding in your own replies & follow-up questions (on the same topic) or start a new thread with your own slant to the topic.

Photography in general has different uses of the word thread, used for screw pitches for linking filters or some older lenses...
'M42' may have been a common lens mount when you first took up photography (It refers to a 42mm diameter with 1mm pitch screw thread) Some of us still use these old lenses on our modern digital cameras.

The latter questions in your title are more difficult to answer, as they depend on where you want to go.
Film is in far more limited supply than it would have been when you started out, but it is still available in the more popular formats if you wish to go back to developing etc as before.
If you decide to go digital the cost of each shot drops considerably - after the initial investment and if you avoid the constant temptation to upgrade.
I've never used a TLR but if you grew up with one I'm sure you'd have no difficulty switching what you know to a DSLR or mirrorless camera if you go digital. There will certainly be new aspects to get to grips with (like the ability to change ISO & white balance with each shot rather than with each film).

Many modern cameras are capable of focusing/exposing automatically, just about all of them will allow you to override the parts you want to so you can be as much in command as you want to be.
What to look for depends on what subjects you expect to shoot, film or digital, the size of your budget, what you're willing to carry & how much control you want - as well as personal ergonomics!

Unless you have a remarkably good retirement package I'd suggest you start of with a used camera that's about 5 years old. I find this often gives an excellent balance between the latest features & an affordable cost. I feel splashing out on a newer system should only be considered if it offers something extra that is really significant to you. Most of my digital cameras have been of this sort of age when I brought them - all of them continue to take good pictures.

I like tinkering with camera gear, so not only do I have loads of legacy lenses but I also have multiple systems to mount them on - Using multiple mounts in both DSLR & mirrorless designs and expanding from visual light into infra-red... Many others prefer a one lens & one body approach which would bore me!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back