What is an ideal lens for my Nikon D500 for all around photos

Yes, they are small and lightweight. The barrel is plastic, but the mount is metal. The best part is; if you wear it out, there are about a hundred more available for not a lot of scratch. They're always available, and very affordable. Don't just snap up the first one you see, but look at ten or so to get a feel for the condition and prices before you pick one.

yes i am going to do that too.. on ebay you can always return it..
Actually, if a seller says "no returns" then you can't. Look for sellers who will take returns, then test the lens as soon as you receive it.

I prefer to buy used lenses if I can find clean, well-cared-for examples.
yes i am going to do that too.. on ebay you can always return it..

Not really.
eBay is not Amazon.
On eBay, you need a good reason to return it. Just saying you don't like it won't cut it.

Yes, they are small and lightweight. The barrel is plastic, but the mount is metal. The best part is; if you wear it out, there are about a hundred more available for not a lot of scratch. They're always available, and very affordable. Don't just snap up the first one you see, but look at ten or so to get a feel for the condition and prices before you pick one.
this one was new and about $65 .. i just had to bid on it fast enough.. i hesitated and lost..

this one was new and about $65 .. i just had to bid on it fast enough.. i hesitated and lost..
Yeah, that happens. I don't like the auctions, although I have participated in some. I prefer to "buy it now". That way I know how much it will cost, and very seldom will there be any better offerings at auction than are offered "buy it now".

I usually bid as much as I would be willing to pay (or as much money I currently have available) and then just sit back and wait. If I get it, fine, but I don't want to be watching the clock and bidding more than I am comfortable with.

Anyway, with that particular lens, there are always a ton of them for sale, so you don't need to feel bad about losing one.

The last one I let slip by me was a D700 kit with absolutely everything! And I mean very low usage, vertical grip, lots of accessories, the original boxes, the manuals, batteries, charger, and about 6 CD cards. I bid on it, but not quite enough. :( I don't like to over-spend my budget.

Yeah, that happens. I don't like the auctions, although I have participated in some. I prefer to "buy it now". That way I know how much it will cost, and very seldom will there be any better offerings at auction than are offered "buy it now".

I usually bid as much as I would be willing to pay (or as much money I currently have available) and then just sit back and wait. If I get it, fine, but I don't want to be watching the clock and bidding more than I am comfortable with.

Anyway, with that particular lens, there are always a ton of them for sale, so you don't need to feel bad about losing one.

The last one I let slip by me was a D700 kit with absolutely everything! And I mean very low usage, vertical grip, lots of accessories, the original boxes, the manuals, batteries, charger, and about 6 CD cards. I bid on it, but not quite enough. :( I don't like to over-spend my budget.
I am learning not to overspend my budget too.. especially when i see how much value is lost from brand new purchase.. it is like a car once you drivc it out of the show room.. yes i will find another one..good to know i can try these lens at a reasonable price.. it will be fun just to experiment..thanks again

..good to know i can try these lens at a reasonable price.. it will be fun just to experiment..thanks again
Now you see why I have over a dozen lenses. I call that a "good start". :p

1-birds 013.JPG
absolutely.. a great start today..not that this is a great photo..just cute because he was hiding from me..thanks again everyone

Last edited:
much better now.. thanks for all the great tips
1-birds 023.JPG

That's much better, but your EV is at -2. I think you don't want/need that for this shot.

Here is what I came up with:

1-birds 023 - Version 2.jpg

That's much better, but your EV is at -2. I think you don't want/need that for this shot.

I don't know how i did that.. yes this is much better.. thanks..

I don't know how i did that.. yes this is much better.. thanks..
Check your camera settings. As I wrote yesterday, you probably should start out with no exposure bias, and use it only if and when the shot actually needs it.

yes i will go through the settings after dinner.. one by one again.. alot more on the d500 compared to my d7500.. love this camera.. fun to learn more..{sometimes} thank you

Most reactions

Back