What is average pay for an assisting photog?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I tried looking it up in my area but endless pages of nonsense in google. I live in a wealthier area, minimum wage is like 7 bucks, but no one works for under 10.

I got contacted by a local photographer who is pretty popular and well known and has been published in designer magazines. He shoots interiors. Not my bag, really, but he could teach me a lot about lighting and the business side that I lack knowledge in.

He asked me what I would require for pay. I thought he would just tell me what he pays... so what should I ask for?

There really is no standard for this type of thing. It's always a toss up because so many photographers would probably assist for free, in order to benefit from the experience. And of course, your service is still valuable and you want to get paid.

Maybe the best thing would be to just tell him that you have no idea what you should ask for...and then you can openly negotiate something that makes you both happy.

Really depends on the photographer. I've assited one guy for $50/hour another guy $20/hour and those were rates they gave me I did not ask.

I would ask how many hours per week you would be working with/for him. Then figure what you need and what you want to earn, add a couple of extra hours divide it and make an offer. A little high so you have talk down room if necessary.

A half a tank of gas sounds good right about now. LOLOLOLOL

Who is going to pay $1200/day? :lol: (ok so gas prices are a bit higher here in Canada)

Seriously, the thing that is most important is to get a feel for the OP thinks they are worth. Get ideas about hourly, weekly, monthly and write it down. Sit down and talk face to face with your photographer friend and ask him what he thinks you are worth to him. Take into consideration the value of what you will be gaining from him/her in terms of experience and knowledge.

You will likely fall somewhere in between his and your values. The industry is so wild and varied that it could be anything between minimum wage to some very interesting amounts.

Totally varies!

Ive worked many time for free but been paid up to $300 a day. Just be open with the photographer and see what they have in mind an what they can do and negotiate.

Best of luck!

Thanks guys. I sent him my resume and told him to make me an offer. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Most reactions

Back