What is causing this blue spot?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ARGH!

In my last few sessions, I am having this blue spot glare that I cannot seem to beat. It's not the end of the world, and usually very editable, but STILL I'd like to get rid of it.

See an example in the photo below and let me know if you know a way to eliminate it.

The set up was D50, wirelessly triggering two lights with umbrellas in front of the model, and lights behind to blow out the back (which weren't configured by the studio owner right... :( )

Anyone that can offer advice, let me know.

dsc0426ql9.jpg

Does the blue spot appear in the same frame location every time? If so, I would think it is something to do with the camera sensor

Does the blue spot appear in the same frame location every time? If so, I would think it is something to do with the camera sensor

No no, it's definetly something with the lighting. My first guess is that its the light being so bring it's reflect off the wall behind her, and then back into my lens.

Oh okay Sorry I misunderstood.
Maybe try a few test shots, each one eliminating one light. That way you can at least find out which source is the problem.

Just a thought

Lens flare. The expensive large lens hood could eliminate it. Also removing any filters helps. If you are shooting with a tripod you can use black cards to flag the lens. More then likely you will have to flag the strobes with black cards.

Love & Bass

Yep. Lens flare.
But a lens hood may not cure it.
What you need to do is to find it's source. Move around with a piece of black card and watch the effect on the lens. Maybe take some test shots.
When you find the source use a flag to block it or move the lights a bit.

BTW this Forum is for non-technical matters. ;)

Are you sure it has nothing to do with her shorts?

Yep. Lens flare.
But a lens hood may not cure it.
What you need to do is to find it's source. Move around with a piece of black card and watch the effect on the lens. Maybe take some test shots.
When you find the source use a flag to block it or move the lights a bit.

BTW this Forum is for non-technical matters. ;)

oops. Your right, wrong forum.

Can someone describe the black card a little bit more? I am wondering if I was less straight on, it might help. I think from angles worked best.

You have light coming in from the side so you have to place a board between you and the flash or step back a bit, i have used my hand before

Last edited:
Basically if you are using umbrellas you have light flying all over the place. Soft boxes are a little easier to deal with because the sides are black. The black flags would be placed as illustrated. Depending on the size of the flags and the position of your lights you will move them around so that you are never getting stray light. Let me know if that makes sense.

Love & Bass

flagwu1.jpg

Basically if you are using umbrellas you have light flying all over the place. Soft boxes are a little easier to deal with because the sides are black. The black flags would be placed as illustrated. Depending on the size of the flags and the position of your lights you will move them around so that you are never getting stray light. Let me know if that makes sense.

Love & Bass

flagwu1.jpg

Best photo ever.

You captured my good side! ;)

Ugh. This his happening again. The studio I rent from seemed to think it was the shirt material, but I really think its from the backlights blowing out the white. I can get rid of it by removing two of the lights, but Im going to have to try turning them down next time, since I didnt have a full BLOW out in this case.

Most reactions

Back