What is everyone's opinion of this lens?

mc_hudd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

I've read some great reviews & some not so great reviews. Does anyone here have/use this lens?

TIA for any replies!

The optics of this lens are pretty darn good. Probably because a 50mm lens is a fairly simple design.

The build quality, the AF system, heck...probably the aperture mechanism on this lens is sub-par.....but this is the cheapest EF lens you can get, so you get what you pay for.

Overall, it's still a pretty good bargain. But so is the 50mm F1.4, which is a much better lens.

It is an inexpensive lens. I think in fact, it's the cheapest current Canon lens you can buy.

It has a low build quality, is fragile, and many who use it use it wrongly. Like Mike mentioned, the lens has few and poorly shaped aperture baldes whicj=h delivers a circle of confusion that renders OOF backgrounds with a nervous, jittery look (bokeh).

Photography. You get what you pay for.

p!nK

For that price it's hard to go wrong. I'm gonna be picking one up fairly soon. But if I had the funds for the 1.4 I'd absolutely pick that one up instead.

Nick

It has horrible, hashy background bokeh. it shoots very poorly directly toward bright light sources, with massive green lens flare ruining images--it is worse against the light than many zoom lenses are, which is basically inexcusable for a 50mm prime lens, but then, it's made by Canon to be the lightest and lowest-cost lens possible to make, and so it's a cheap POS design, with one less element than would ideally be the minimum for a 50mm, AND with a crude 1930's style 5-blade diaphragm (what a joke!). The lens has a plastic lens mount, and it is held together by plastic rivets, not by screws, so if the lens is smacked firmly, it suffers from what Kwanon calls "barrel separation"...ie, the lens snaps into two pieces. It's "sharp" enough,sure, but the images it produces are sickening on scenes that have busy backdrops. It is the $4.99 jug wine of the lens world.

Hmmm, OK, thanks for the replies. Still undecided. Maybe I'll try to save up my money for the 1.4... Any opinions on that one?

And Derrel, if we're gonna use wine as an analogy here, I'm the kind of girl that would rather have a $3 bottle of Boone's Farm over a $300 bottle of real wine any day! LOL ;)

Derrel, i respect your opinion very much, you have given me and many many others fantastic advice. while i do agree that the shots with busy backgrounds look awkward and the build quality is obviously cheap, i think that at the end of the day its a better option than the kit lens. i cant speak for the OP but im assuming she/he is limited to just the kit, im also assuming they are somewhat new to photography in general. I think you would agree with me that spending the $350ish on the 1.4 would be somewhat foolish for someone still very much in learning mode.

According to Canonrumors.com we could be seeing an update to the 50mm primes sometime in the near future. EF 50 f/1.4 II & EF 50 f/1.8 III [CR2] « Canon Rumors so idk how eager you are to get one, but waiting till the 1.8 III gets released might be the best option. no time table for the drop date tho, could be weeks, could be months. im considering waiting it out because i assume the build quality is something that will be updated.

iNick said:
According to Canonrumors.com we could be seeing an update to the 50mm primes sometime in the near future. EF 50 f/1.4 II & EF 50 f/1.8 III [CR2] « Canon Rumors so idk how eager you are to get one, but waiting till the 1.8 III gets released might be the best option. no time table for the drop date tho, could be weeks, could be months. im considering waiting it out because i assume the build quality is something that will be updated.

Canon rumors has given more information that has proved to be false than true. While I would say that a iii version of the 1.8 would likely be an upgrade, the current version is only $100. It's very much a disposable lens. There's no need to wait for something that inexpensive that may not be out for months or even years.

Canon rumors has given more information that has proved to be false than true. While I would say that a iii version of the 1.8 would likely be an upgrade, the current version is only $100. It's very much a disposable lens. There's no need to wait for something that inexpensive that may not be out for months or even years.

Yeah i hear you on that. im a mid level noob and i feel the 1.8 would serve me well for like a year or so while i work on improving more, but im afraid its going to break on me after a short while so im torn on what to do.

iNick said:
Yeah i hear you on that. im a mid level noob and i feel the 1.8 would serve me well for like a year or so while i work on improving more, but im afraid its going to break on me after a short while so im torn on what to do.

Did you take n00b 101 or what? lol joking!

Do yourself a favor...when it comes to lenses...don't cheap out, and just buy it right the first time. You'll actually sve money in the long run.

Or...just switch to Nikon ;D

I had one for a few years, it never broke. I think they are sturdy enough for use, just when I say build quality...well...its plastic. It doesnt "feel" sturdy. But plastics are very strong now days, and it survived plenty of shots, being tossed in the bag, Michigan weather, and I never had an issue. On a budget? This lens does more than a 100.00 lens should do. If you have the money, get the 1.4.

Did you take n00b 101 or what? lol joking!

Do yourself a favor...when it comes to lenses...don't cheap out, and just buy it right the first time. You'll actually sve money in the long run.

Or...just switch to Nikon ;D

Ha! yes im an expert on n00b-nes haha. Believe me if i had the ability to spend $350 on the 1.4 i absolutely would. but being a broke college kid paying the $125 for the 1.8 would be pushing my limits.

Most reactions

Back