What is fully manual?

Without batteries implies that a digital SLR cannot be fully manual since it needs batteries to function in the first place.

So I will add, that in the context of this thread, to be "fully manual" in the dSLR world means that it is the photographer themselves (not the camera), that chooses:
- ISO
- shutter speed
- aperture
- whitebalance
- and focuses by hand

That to me means being fully manual.

this may all be true...
But in modern society..shooting "full manual" means that you aren't letting your camera do all the work for you.
AKA. Shooting in M mode instead of any of the auto/program modes.

Ok?

I know you all wanna get technical and dictionary on everyone...but in popular speech and today's world...full manual means "pick your shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc by yourself and screw your camera's 'ideal' settings". Now...I'd even go so far as to saying that fully-manual COULD include AF. You're exposing manually...who cares about the focus? But that's just me, and has nothing to do with the question if you ask me.

The dictionary defines manual as: done, operated, worked, etc., by the hand or hands rather than by an electrical or electronic device.

To me that would suggest that "fully" manual would require you to make your own gear and materials as well. Film would be out. There's no such thing as handmade film. You could possibly find a glass blower to make your plates by hand (they'll be a little rough). Start looking for a lens grinder who works with hand powered tools; you need to find him fast, because he's really old and is going to die any day now. Then mix your own chems and emulsions (hand refined chemistry supplies? good luck finding that source). You can take paper making classes. The paper is going to be much easier to make than the glass plates. You'll probably need to use collodion process (coating and processing the plates in the field). Ansel Adams used mirrors and a skylight to run his enlarger. Overcast days are wonderful; party sunny days are a beetch. No electric water heater to temp those chems and water.

You know what I think? Fully manual photography is called "painting".

I think they're talking about as fully manual as possible without being ridiculous. You take your sarcasm too far!

I personally like digital better than film. Easier equipment to use in my opinion. I'd prefer to not use a camera that doesn't have its own light meter. At that point the work to get a picture becomes too much.

You're exposing manually...who cares about the focus?
Because automatic optics does not equal manual optics?

I use AF when I have AF lenses, when I only have manual I use manual.

I'd say manually choosing your aperture and shutter speed based on a light reading from either a camera meter or hand held meter. As well as manually focuses and choosing what to do with sensitivity.

Most reactions

Back