What is "Grey Market" camera gear? Is it bad?

timarp000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
B&H is selling the 16-85 VR for $560 'Grey Market' Vs the regular $630. Is it ok to buy Grey market products?

My relatives are coming from the states to India. I will get the gear from them. Will buying grey market have any effect on that?

Since i will be using it in india, i assume that the USA warranty wont apply, or will it?

I own a D40x. I got it from the states as well. When Its shutter got jammed (3 years after use), I went to the Nikon service center and they fixed it. Of course the warrant period was over by then so i had to pay for the replacement part but if i do buy 'Grey market' is it possible that the Nikon service center wont fix my camera even if warranty period is still active?

If you buy a body with a USA warranty then you will have to send it to Nikon USA for service during the warranty period. If you buy a "Grey Market" body from B&H you will have to send it to B&H for service during the warranty period. You decide.

If you buy a body with a USA warranty then you will have to send it to Nikon USA for service during the warranty period. If you buy a "Grey Market" body from B&H you will have to send it to B&H for service during the warranty period. You decide.
Since i am living in India, The type of warranty wont make a difference, right? So it doesnt matter if i buy a Grey Market or USA product.

. . . if i do buy 'Grey market' is it possible that the Nikon service center wont fix my camera even if warranty period is still active?

Nikon USA will not take it from you - you have to go to the seller or importer (B&H). As to whether B&H can send it to Nikon, I do not know.
What does owning a "Gray Market" Nikon product mean to you?

Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Gray Market items. Additionally Nikon Inc. USA cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Gray Market items. Please do not contact Nikon Inc. USA for help with any Gray Market products. Please contact the reseller or importer of your Gray Market items for warranty and service information as well as software updates and downloads.

Does owning a "Gray Market" Nikon product mean I don't have a warranty?

No! All Nikon products come with a warranty by the manufacturer. The designated Nikon service center will always repair "in warranty" Nikon products and perform "out of warranty" repairs. If you own a Gray Market product it will need to be returned to the reseller or importer for service. Refer to your reseller or to the warranty cards included with the product for service contact information.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/331

I was in Panama and saw a Nikon lens I really wanted, so I got it. In Panama it was a regular Nikon lens, back in the US it became “gray market”. Don’t really care, it is a manual focus all metal lens that will probably outlast me, so I don’t foresee sending it in anytime soon.

So if the equipment is out of warranty an you have a problem with it will canon fix it if you pay the costs of the repair?

I just bought a lens and did not realize that it was gray market. I got the okay to return it but I'm starting to wonder if that's even
Necessary or not. What do you think?

Grey market products are brought into a country by someone / some organisation other than the officially registered and approved importer. Generally, these official importers will use some the margins they make when selling a product, to cover the costs of marketing, service and support and guarantee of the products that sell. It would be unfair to expect them to service a product at no cost, when a purchaser of a grey market product has not contributed to these costs, so a service charge may be levied. Be aware that some official importers refuse to even service any grey market products at all, even if the purchasers of these products is willing to pay.. ... Caveat ..... let the buyer beware....

i've bought from Digital Rev who send products from Hong Kong if i remember correctly..

all OK, never had a problem and would definitely use again considering the cost advantages and fine service!

i've not used any other suppliers so don't know about them. but what i would say is, it is now 2013, the world is a smaller place. The internet is a global mall and where there are happy customer reviews and companies with fine reputations, i wouldn't worry about grey or not.

What about customs duty on the items from Hong Kong? I've just bought a MD3 and battery pack from NY City and had to pay £38 customs duty on a £130 purchase. Don't mind as I couldn't get a mint with manual over here. But you have to take import duties into account.

Most reactions

Back