What is so bad about RAW?

So, some of the camera settings are the same as post processing software. I don't know how is that going to save times from post processing. If I want good photographs, I still have to use pp software even I shoot jpeg.

It would theoretically save time because you WOULDN'T use photoshop for those things, of course...

If you could set the contrast to what you want the final contrast to be, then there would be no need to adjust contrast in PP.

If you can, but I can't. It is very hard to get the right contrast in the 2-3 inch screen especially going indoor and outdoor where lighting changes dramatically. I still have to use photoshop or pp.

Yeah maybe as you said, you should stop watching these videos! LOL These are the first of his that I've watched and probably will be the last. I don't think there are absolutes, that it's necessarily the best idea to follow any one person exclusively - you get different ideas from different people and might use something from every source (or nothing from some of them).

I can see for some people it might be an advantage to have two identical cameras and mirrorless might be an option in some cases for that reason. I switch back and forth from film to digital and from one type camera to another - it just seems to take being familiar with the cameras and taking a moment to - think! - and I can switch gears and switch cameras. Just depends on what you're photographing and how you go about it what will work best.

Back to the original point, my camera is DNG so if I have it set to shoot Raw it automatically produces a Raw and a JPEG image from that. I usually save the Raw as a JPEG if I want it in that size because the quality is usually better. I don't understand him saying the Raw isn't a photo or that it can't be printed... I print my Raw images all the time; I often open them in Photoshop and print what I photographed directly from that, other times I might need to adjust contrast or brighten it up some especially if I was in low or mixed lighting.

Either Raw or JPEG can work I think, it just depends on how you're going to use the images. I think particularly in changeable lighting it's necessary to keep metering and adjusting for the changes as you go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back