what is so special about the Z6 Nikon camera..

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Photo Lady, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Photo Lady

Photo Lady No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    yes it will ..i have a slot for it.. one slot for SD card and one for XQD card..i just never got the XQD card, wonder if it would make any difference..thanks

2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh, sorry. I don't know the D500. Check the read/write speeds of the XQD and compare that to your SD card. Note; the read speed may be different from the write speed on either type of card.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    okay thanks...just wondering if it is speed alone that makes it so much better.. my camera seems fast enough..but if even faster thats okay too..

4. D7K

D7K This is the right time.. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I use xQD in my D850 and it is certainly much faster, the R/W speed for me is a winner and works great for burst shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    yes i will get one..speed does make all the difference..just thought i was so fast from my prior camera ,,but those flying bird shots would improve..thanks

6. coastalconn

coastalconn Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A good XQD card will give you the full 200 shot buffer. IIRC, the fastest 90 MB/s SD card is around 50 for Raw. If you shoot jpeg only it shouldn't make much of a difference. The write speed is quite a bit higher with xqd Nikon D500 XQD and SD UHS-II Card Performance comparison test for continuous shooting, buffer and write speed - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    THANKS.. I AM GOING TO GEY ONE!

• Like Like x 1
  8. BillM

BillM TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first time you upload from camera to computer you'll be glad you got it. Especially if you took 400 or 500 shots ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well, obviously they cant get it sold ? Otherwise, why would they feel the need to advertise it in this obnoxious way. Theres also plenty offers on the used market if you really want one, too.

As far as I know, it suffers from poor autofocus, poor metering, the ergos arent exactly the greatest (buttons are missing), the adapter for it has poor support for anything but newest generation (no autofocus with many of my Nikkor lenses, no support for metering with AI/AI-S lenses), theres only one card slot and its an absurd one (expensive cards for a camera that only really manages 5fps), the battery door is basically designed to fail, the vertical grip is only a battery with no additional functionality, and many more disappointing details, which is why people dont like it.

And the special thing about the Z6 specifically is that its not as absurdely overpriced as the Z7. Except for the sensor, its the exact same camera and yet you pay $3400 for it instead of $2000. Full frame sensors aint so expensive these days, certainly not to this extra price, and its the exact same sensor technology in both cases. Really impossible to explain or justify, except though "Nikon thinks people are dumb". My guess is they figured OK the 24 Megapixel D750 costs $2000 (initially, anyway) and the 42 Megapixel D850 costs $3400, so we price the Z6 and Z7 accordingly. Theres a TON of other differences between the D750 and D850 though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    that fast ...wow

11. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    I think i will stick to my D500 ... enough to learn with this one.. and i do love it.. and your right they would not have to constantly send emails.......... if it was so sensational......thanks for all the info..

12. bchalifour

bchalifour TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

(I have had a Z7 for over 6 months now (and I have had Nikons for several decades) so what I am writing next is common to both Z7 and Z6) — the Z6 is the first mirrorless Nikon camera which means no mirror, fewer vibration and noise (in fact it can be totally silent), lighter, more compact, what you see in the viewfinder is exactly what you get including in terms of exposure (you actually see your over and underexposures in real time. The EVF (electronic viewfinder) allows the display of whatever information you need in it (level, histogram for instance). The camera also includes a very effective stabilization system which allows the use of slow shutter speeds handheld.

• Like Like x 1