What is the 4/3 deal?

SquirrelNuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I see "4/3" camera written all over photography magazines, but no explanation. What is the 4/3 standard or setup? None of my books have anything about it either.

-SquirrelNuts

The Four Thirds system is a new open standard for digital SLR cameras with interchangeable lenses that utilise a 4/3 inch image sensor. In addition to facilitating the development of camera lens systems specifically designed to maximise digital image sensor performance - without being bound by the design conventions imposed by 35mm film camera SLR systems - the Four Thirds system establishes a common standard for lens mounts, ensuring compatibility between lenses and bodies even if they are produced by different manufacturers. Furthermore, the Four Thirds system interchangeable lenses are much smaller and lighter than 35mm and APS SLR lens systems.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03030212olympusesys.asp

So it a high-end medium format digital camera with an open standard lens mounts. No big deal. What's the cost. IMO about 16,000 USD

I'm not quite sure where you drew that conclusion from, but okay... It's a DSLR "standard" with a smaller than APS size sensor, and lenses designed specifically for this sensor size. IMO it's doomed, it's just too expensive. At that price bracket, many people who might buy it have already bought into a different system, ie Canon or Nikon. The rest have *better* options like the 10D or 300D available for less money. I've seen the sample photos, and they're nothing special. Why would you pay more for a camera that doesn't perform better than one that's $1000 less? Plus, you lock yourself into a (expensive) lens mount available on all of one camera.

The link / review in metroshane post states that the sensor is 4 x 3 inches (100x70mm)
The Four Thirds system is a new open standard for digital SLR cameras with interchangeable lenses that utilise a 4/3 inch image sensor.

Also if a 300mm lens = 600mm (35mm) the sensor has to be larger that 24x36mm, right?

The interchangeable lenses, developed and manufactured by Olympus, are exceptionally bright and compact, and deliver high quality images that only digital lenses can provide. The new Olympus lenses are (figures in parentheses indicate 35mm film camera equivalent):

300mm, f2.8 (600mm)
14 - 54mm, f2.8 - f3.5 zoom (28 - 108mm)
50mm, f2.0 macro (100mm)
50 - 200mm, f2.8 - f3.5 zoom (100 - 400mm)

What is the going rate for a digital back for a medium format camera?

Is a very high end pro camera

Most reactions

Back