What is the best film SLR nikon

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,

I have been taking photos on a digital camera and i love it, but i want to force myself to take better photos as i have a terrible habit of taking as many shots as possible and then deleting the ones i don't like, which is ok but its not really honing my skill.

Could anyone advise me on the best nikon camera to use for film and also what film (B&W preferably) would be best. I don't have the facility to develop myself at the mo...i want to see if i like film first before i invest too heavily.

Thank you :D

How much do you want to spend? There are a whole slew of old last generation Nikon film bodies (NXXXX) available for next to nothing, and for not a lot (a few hundred dollars) you can pick up a near mint F5, which is Nikon's last, true professional film SLR.

A Couple of hundred £ at the most, i don't want to invest a lot, incase i prefer digital. It's literally to run off a few films to help me take better photos first time... nikon.... its a big family but there is always one thats better than the rest, so the F5 is it the best?

the answer in your case is probably "whatever model happens to be for sale at your local antique store or flea market"

By which i mean film SLRs from the 70's etc. I wouldn't spend hundreds of pounds buying some recent vintage uber-film-SLR, when you can get one just to "try a few rolls" for like $25 probably.

And it's nice to find one somewhere in person like that, so that you can check the shutter timing and so forth to make sure everything works. People on ebay seem to be completely oblivious to the concept of a 1/10th of a second shutter taking about 1/10th of a second to open and close.....

Depends on who ya ask. Here's my vote. If I could pick only one it would be the F5.
ddf29ccd-e7d3-4c1f-96dd-86e2c7bc4eee_zpsa95b17b2.jpg

I would get the camera on ebay, there are endless SLR's there going for peanuts.

Plenty of decent models....the N90s is nice and relatively modern, and affordable, probably still going to have good light seals in it too, good viewfinder image.

The F100 was a nice, newer autofocus model. Like an F5 sort of but smaller, lighter.

Don't spend a lot of money at first is my suggestion.

F100 is the best, technically the f6 is a little better but it still cost a fortune. The f100 only cost around $125 these days.

The f5 is just a f100 with two pounds of lead attached and invisible af points. ;) I own both.

To save $$ I suggest shooting b+w and developing/scanning yourself. You don't need any special room, just a changing bag and running water.

Most reactions

Back