What is THE BEST "first lens"

00bolt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I know there probably is no real answer to this question, so Im hoping to get people's suggestions.

Im a newbie and very amateur. I have had a Canon S2 point and shoot for the past year or so and just bought a Canon XTi SLR body today. So now I need a lens. Since Im on a budget, Id like to stay in the $300-$500 range. I dont mind shopping in used market (ebay, forums, etc) to be able to save a few bucks in hopes to get a better lens...

I know eventually once I start getting better and understand the camera a little better I will want more lenses, but for now Id like to find that one perfect lens.... In a perfect world it would be a 17-300mm F1.8 IS for $500 and it would be perfect quality with no negatives... but since there is no such item, I need suggestions...

What I plan to shoot: kids around house, outside, birthday parties, etc... on occasion I will try and go and find interesting things... who knows, could be a red barn in a field of flowers, could be a skyscrapper in downtown... just whatever catches me eye I guess. But mostly, will be used for taking pics of the kids. One thing I WOULD LIKE is capability to do the "blurry background" effect. So I was thinking of something that can do a low aperture like 2.8 or larger...

I did a little research myself and found one that seems to get decent reviews, but still doesnt seem to be perfect, has some issues (guess everything does in reviews online)... But it doesnt have IS and its not a name brand like Canon... so still up for suggestions...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-17-50mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-II-Lens-Review.aspx

I've got the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 and I can recommend it. Great lens :thumbup:

If your budget will allow it go with BigMike's and ShutteredEye's suggestions in combination. I also own the Tamron 17-50mm and absolutely love it for a general walk around lens. I personally own the 50mm f1.4, but at about $70.00 the 50mm f1.8 should be in your bag as well. Sharp lens that would be a good start for those low light situations and portraits. Just my 2cents worth here.

i found 2 lenses for sale locally. Both are used, but in perfect condition

28mm 1.8 - $300
50mm 1.4 - $250

would these 2 lenses be a better solution than getting a zoom?? I heard getting prime makes you a better photographer in the end, I just kinda like the idea of zoom, but I also really like the idea of how fast (1.xx aperture) these are....

28mm 1.8 - $300
50mm 1.4 - $250

would these 2 lenses be a better solution than getting a zoom?? I heard getting prime makes you a better photographer in the end, I just kinda like the idea of zoom, but I also really like the idea of how fast (1.xx aperture) these are....

Whether they'd be a better solution than a zoom is a matter of opinion, based on personal preference and priorities. As you say, they are fast... so if that is your priority then yes it would be a better solution. Also I would say that they will almost certainly produce better image quality than a zoom of similar price at the same focal length - especially in the case of the 50mm. As for whether primes make you a better photographer... well that's only one opinion. It may be that the simplicity of a single focal length, by removing the possibilities of other focal lengths, makes you think more about composition... maybe... it's down to the individual. I prefer primes to zooms but I certainly don't believe they make me a better photographer.

A zoom with comparable quality to a prime (especially with larger apertures) will generally cost a lot more than a prime, even a faster prime. Of course there are significant advantages to a zoom as well... fans of prime lenses will often say "zoom with your feet"... well sometimes your feet can only "zoom" so far before you fall in a river. ;)

Personally I too agree with the suggestions everyone else has made... a good quality wide to short telephoto zoom (e.g. 17-50mm f/2.8) and a fast prime for the extra speed when you need it. I would go for the 17-50mm over the 28mm, because you may want some wide-angle capability and 28mm is not all that wide on a 350D.

I'd say nab the 50mm f/1.4 now and save your pennies for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 zoom. Those two lenses are a pretty hard combination to beat for general-purpose shooting.

I strongly recommend the kit lens. It is cheap, covers a good range and will give okay images if stopped down a bit. Use it until it wears out ... use it until you have mastered that lens ... use it until you absolutely know what range of lens you need next.

Your lens acquisition should be as noted above ... get a lens ... use it until it is mastered ... until you know what you will get at each f/stop and lighting situation and distance from subject. Master the lens one at a time.

After you have mastered a lens you will know what you need next and why. You may ask who makes the best lens ... but you will never have to inquire about what lens other's think you need.

If not the kit zoom ... then I recommend something between a 28 and 35 ... those lenses will approximate a normal 50mm lens on a fulframe 35mm. I have found that the 50mm on a crop sensor to be an extremely awkward length ... too long for scenic shots ... too short for environmental portraiture and way to short of sports.

For a beginner, the kit lens will serve you well ... this information may not be what you wish to hear/see ... just like the beginning driver would prefer a Porsche to a KIA ... in the beginning the KIA is a better choice.

Gary

28mm 1.8 - $300
50mm 1.4 - $250

I originally suggested the 50 but with this comparison I would go with the 28.

Most reactions

Back