What is the best/most professional online photo server

Rancor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I keep seeing links to images, or images linked to, certain site: Flickr or Photobucket or a private page. I think I've come across maybe half a dozen or so in the past few days since I've joined the forums/decided to be serious about photography.

My question is, what is the best photo sharing site. Meaning, which is the most respectable, the most professional. Is there one, or are they all sort of just facebook for photos short of having you own expertly done page.

There are several that are used by more advanced/experienced photographers. From those you can sell your photos (prints) and have them do the transaction and shipping. There is, of course, a fee for these sites. A few that come to mind are Smugmug, Zenfolio, Printroom, Photoshelter. These will also host your personal photography website.
If your interest is in storing and displaying your photos, then the site you choose is more open. Flickr is still used by a lot of serious photographers though it's more known for hosting millions of vacation photos. There you can also join some very informative groups, including Strobist if you plan to do any off camera flash.
PBase is another that features better than snapshot quality photos. You already mentioned Photobucket, the popular hosting site for people selling on eBay.;)
Keep looking around and you'll find one that suits your needs and tastes.

Last edited:
It really depends on what you want. Flickr is basically the default photo sharing site out there. It isn't without it's faults however. I use Smugmug, personally. They cost, but I think it's worth the price of admission. They allow unlimited bandwidth, and unlimited storage, even in their most basic package. Though if you want to archive RAW files, you have to pay for bandwidth. The middle account allows you to use a custom domain, share video, and allows a lot more customization. Their pro level account essentially adds a store front so you can sell photos. I use the middle package, but mainly for the video. Relatives want to see videos of my munchkin.

I'd stay away from facebook for sharing photos personally. You give them rights to your photos when you post there. All of them that Bob mentioned are good, but your best bet is to do your research and see which service gives you what works best for you.

I've been using photoshelter for over a year now and find it answered all my professional needs, including being able to build a fast and good looking web site, setting up all the was required for selling online and for the price, with no huge upfront contact or money to put out it works. You can also try it out for 2 weeks before deciding. Worth a look.

Most reactions

Back