What is the Best UK Photographer Magazine?

cbay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.desigzgallery.com
Hello

In the eyes of the UK residents which of the Photographer Magazines do you feel are the best and most worth subscribing to or purchasing, weekly or monthly?

I subscribe to Practical Photography, It can be an interesting read, but like a lot of magazines, they do start repeating and contradicting themselves after a while - still, it gives me something to read on the toilet.

Some of the articles are pretty interesting in there, and they do some good reviews on various kit from compacts to DSLR to 35mm to MF. Best bet is to pick up a couple from the newsagents and make your own mind up. Amateur Photographer is another one of the genre, but I got the feeling that there were a lot of film 'purists' reading that - similar sort of mag though.

Main reason I subscribed was to get a camera bag, a nice little Lowepro one - The current offer is for a Crumpler bag, so for £42 you get a decent bag and a years subscription.

i'm afraid i don't like crumpler bags, i bought one off the net and it didn't fit the item description.

anyway, amateur photographer is my favourite magazine though i would prefer it monthly rather than weekly. It has a good variation in features and also good listings for new and used equipment.

I used to get Hot Shoe - the Ad industries photo mag, but I don't know if you can still get it.
BJP is still a good read, though it has it's ups and downs.

Thanks guys! for your help, ive decided im going to be cheeky and go to the newsagents and sit down and have a read through a few and make my mind up before buying one of them, lol

Once again, Thanks

I'm glad this post was made I was thinking of doing it myself and when I came home yesterday I see I was beaten to it :D

So...after dithering in Eason for a few minutes today flicking between the two, I choose Photography Monthly over Practical Photography as the articles seemed a little more interesting imo, with a pretty good section on summer photography techniques and various others. My choice was also influenced by the fact that PM seem slightly less digital orientated and I'm using film atm. But by no means will I stick with one magazine... I'll just go for whichever catches my eye more at the time!

Hello

IMHO most of the monthly equipment/technique led publications (eg Pratical Photography) are pretty two bob. They just recycle the articles over and over, just changing the cliche ridden pictures used to illustrate them. Once you've bought about 6 months worth, you've pretty much read everything they have to say.

Why not try a magazine about photography such as Source, Photoworks or 8?

F. Duddy

ps, Becky, where in the North are you. I was recently in the Point for the blues festival. Had a great time.

okay so the main reccomended are:

- Photography Monthly
- Practical Photography

Well i am going to take a look at both of these tomorrow when i go to the shops, i also researched on the internet and Digital Photo looks quite appealing any preferences to that one anyone?

Most reactions

Back