what is the best way to learn photoshop?

Mashburn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a Lightroom user, but once in a while there is something that erks me that I know photoshop could do. So I got photoshop and it is confusing as heck trying to learn it through youtube. So I am needing to know where is the best place to learn the very basic stuff at? just so I can get my feet wet and understand.

Thanks

For something as deep as Photoshop you're going to need some structure in the beginning so you can learn the basics. My advice would be to look into a class through a community college. An instructor showing you how things work and answering your questions in real time is invaluable.

I am currently using lynda.com which was recommended here on TPF by a few members. It's $25/month unlimited access (you can cancel up to day 10 at no charge). I'm finding the PS Elements 11 course to be really well structured and feel that I am getting my money's worth. Worth checking out.

Phlearn.com

Aaron Nace is a wizard and explains things in a simple and entertaining way. You might need to go back a few pages to find the "Starting out" videos.

Photoshop 101 201 Bundle

this is the one I found. and I been seeing it pop up on my facebook. I will see what others say over the weekend. but I am leaning with going with this. Thanks.

Phlearn.com

Aaron Nace is a wizard and explains things in a simple and entertaining way. You might need to go back a few pages to find the "Starting out" videos.

Photoshop 101 201 Bundle

this is the one I found. and I been seeing it pop up on my facebook. I will see what others say over the weekend. but I am leaning with going with this. Thanks.

That's the one! His free stuff is also excellent. A bit more advanced, but great for picking up little tips and tricks and once you've mastered the fundamentals will make much more sense. I often have his videos running in the background whilst I'm working - you'll be surprised how much just sinks in!

I think he's got one of the best photography learning sites going at the moment. Hope it works out for you!

First find some tutorials on the basics of navigation and what some of the common phrases such as Adjustment layers, layer mask, blend modes etc.,

Then, think of what you are trying to do then Google YouTube Videos. Always save the videos that were helpful in a Playlist so you can refer to them later.

Subscribe to YouTube channels and blogs such as Phlearn. This is important as its what will broaden your horizons to what is even possible with the software and potentially spark your creativity.

Learn, Apply and Repeat

I suggest Lynda.com also. Watch the Online Video Course Photoshop CC Essential Training

You may need to try a few different avenues in order to find what's best for you. Some amount of repetition works best for me; which is why have to rewatch videos so often.

I have Lynda and like it. but I do not like the people who teach you how to do things. some are crazy to long before they have you touch the software, while others start talking like you are a basic student.

if you know a person on there that is awesome, let me know. and I'll give it a try. but all the ones I have tried thus far on there, are not for me.

I suggest Lynda.com also. Watch the Online Video Course Photoshop CC Essential Training

You may need to try a few different avenues in order to find what's best for you. Some amount of repetition works best for me; which is why have to rewatch videos so often.

I have Lynda and like it. but I do not like the people who teach you how to do things. some are crazy to long before they have you touch the software, while others start talking like you are a basic student.

if you know a person on there that is awesome, let me know. and I'll give it a try. but all the ones I have tried thus far on there, are not for me.

Chris Orwig - I like his pace and his voice did not put me to sleep.
Watch the Online Video Course Photoshop CC for Photographers Fundamentals

I learned everything I know on YouTube, and I'd like to think I am pretty good with photoshop!

The best way to learn Photoshop is to use it regularly.

I've been using Photoshop pretty much daily for about 14 years now and I'm still learning how to use it.
People come up with ways to use Photoshop that Photoshop's designers never considered being possible.

I find YouTube to disjointed and disorganized to be used as an effective ongoing resource for learning Photoshop in a logical manner.

Part of the reason I'm still lraning how to use Ps is they keep improving Ps and adding capabilities and features.
I rely on my KelbyOne.com membership, Adobe TV, Scott Kelby books (basically a limited selection of grouped tutorials) and my primary go to source Martin Evening:
Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers, 2014 Release: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Chris Orwig - I like his pace and his voice did not put me to sleep.
Watch the Online Video Course Photoshop CC for Photographers Fundamentals
Thanks. I'll give that shot before I "buy" something else.

I am taking a PhotoShop class at community college. Everyday I learn something new. I strongly suggest a classroom environment.
I would go that route but two problems. one I do not want to wait to sign up to start learning. and two, I don't want to spend money like that and have to drive back and forth and waste gas. thanks though.

If you're the kind of person that can learn well from books then Scott Kelby's newest Photoshop book is quite good.
ah Blah I hate reading. but I think it would be something I would want to get into "after" I learned the basics.

The best way to learn Photoshop is to use it regularly.

I've been using Photoshop pretty much daily for about 14 years now and I'm still learning how to use it.
People come up with ways to use Photoshop that Photoshop's designers never considered being possible.

I find YouTube to disjointed and disorganized to be used as an effective ongoing resource for learning Photoshop in a logical manner.

Part of the reason I'm still lraning how to use Ps is they keep improving Ps and adding capabilities and features.
I rely on my KelbyOne.com membership, Adobe TV, Scott Kelby books (basically a limited selection of grouped tutorials) and my primary go to source Martin Evening:
Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers, 2014 Release: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC
I agree about youtube. people are scrambled and some teach very very different things that could take some just a few clicks to do.

Also I would love to do the CC 2014........... but I purchased CS6 last year. I had "money" and purchased the package with lightroom. So I would hate to start purchasing monthly for CC 2014, I would feel I made a horrible choice and never gave it a chance.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back